Warm water fish in cold weather

theboz

Reaction score
Got some last day casting in before my lake froze.

A few LMs

A good pick

A nice eye

Another LM

A nice one to end the day.
And the next day the lake froze over.

Joni

Reaction score
Wahoo! Nice. I hooked a nice sized Bass yesterday, but not like the last picture. Jealous.

theboz

Reaction score
Wahoo! Nice. I hooked a nice sized Bass yesterday, but not like the last picture. Jealous.
That's my son sticking it to me! A rare moment , comes home for a few days and gets lucky haha! And of course that's on FB with a side by side with my smaller bass ! And of course he Quotes " the lord has blessed us all today but he's been particularly good to me!" from RRTI!

theboz

Reaction score
Bigger chains give a good account of themselves! It's a shame people here don't appreciate them ,many get tossed on the bank and left for the animals . The think the pickerel hurt the Bass and Walleye populations ! Well obviously they're wrong!

schiff

Reaction score
Boz, very nice fish...! The Pickeral are always fun and you have a lot of them in the Poconos...lucky dog. I am only an hour from there, but just never seem to find time to get up there. I'll have to put this on my list for 2013. I used to fish Shahola Lake when I was younger and really miss that lake. It is 2 hours from me, but need to get back there.
Thanks for the pictures. They really will haunt me all winter...lol.

mcnerney

Administrator
Reaction score
Theboz: Congrats to all the great fish you two landed, especially that monster LM your son caught! I can only dream of landing one like that someday.

Larry

theboz

Reaction score
Boz, very nice fish...! The Pickeral are always fun and you have a lot of them in the Poconos...lucky dog. I am only an hour from there, but just never seem to find time to get up there. I'll have to put this on my list for 2013. I used to fish Shahola Lake when I was younger and really miss that lake. It is 2 hours from me, but need to get back there.
Thanks for the pictures. They really will haunt me all winter...lol.
Shohola lake is the Pickeral capital of the Poconos! That lake is so much fun in the spring ! We skitter big bucktails across the lily pads and the picks come flying up to slam them!
Used to hunt birds with the manager of your local supermarket !

---------- Post added at 11:21 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:13 AM ----------

any eye on the fly is a fascination for me, ive only caught a couple like that
In this lake towards dusk the Walleye feed very close to the shoreline and a Clouser close in is probably the easiest way to hookup. We do better than the hardware guys most of the time!

---------- Post added at 11:25 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:21 AM ----------

Theboz: Congrats to all the great fish you two landed, especially that monster LM your son caught! I can only dream of landing one like that someday.

Larry
Funny thing is usually get one or two LMs that size out of there every year late in the season and I guess it was my sons turn for the bigun this year!

delopez

Reaction score
Bigger chains give a good account of themselves! It's a shame people here don't appreciate them ,many get tossed on the bank and left for the animals . The think the pickerel hurt the Bass and Walleye populations ! Well obviously they're wrong!
I'm starting to think that Pike to some of the northern states are like Gar to the southern states. Here, people throw gar on the bank for the same reason. It's a shame...

O

okuma

What fishing I did, I did some with an older man who is trying to fly fish:eek:(whole differnet point). The is point is, in his words to me once..."Mike, a fish is a fish. If people aren't killing them for food, why the hell they throwing them on the bank. They all put up a fight." I see that as a good point. BTW Boz...the pics...sighs

wtl

Reaction score
I often keep pickeral to cook up. They have a fair amount of bones, but have a good taste. Couldn't imagine throwing them on the bank.

theboz

Reaction score
I often keep pickeral to cook up. They have a fair amount of bones, but have a good taste. Couldn't imagine throwing them on the bank.
Absolutely! Once you learn to work through those Y bones when filleting those Pickeral are as good as Walleye! Couple of brews and some home fries and you have a shoreline feast!

woodrivertroutbum

Reaction score
Very nice! I am always on to the steel, trout and salmon this time of year. Mostly focus on the bass in the summer months. Can I ask what flies work well for you in the nearly freezing water?