Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: River smallie rod

1. Default Re: River smallie rod

So I'm getting that a fast 6 would be good. I'm just a little woried about the 6 not being able to handle large poppers. I won't throw anything under size 6( I've got a 5 for that) and no more than 1.

Default Re: River smallie rod

if you already have a 5 (i missed that) then get the 7 the six probably wouldnt do that much for you.

With the added info I would also recommend a 7 if not an 8. I use a 2 in the small creeks that I fish but I don't cast flies tied on 1's either. You should also try some helgamite patterns and a 'blind squirrel' if you tie your own.

4. Default Re: River smallie rod

I was thinking that. I might try and tie up some size 6-4 clousers over the winter. I know what patterns I need. Would a 7wt be adequate for 3"-4" size 6-4 clousers? I would like to use the same set-up for poppers and streamers.

Save yourself the time on wondering whether to get a 6 or 7 and just get yourself an Albright GPX 6/7 9' for $80

6. Default Re: River smallie rod

im going with the 7wt. its better to be a little over than a little under. plus i have a 5 weight already for smaller fish.

To answer your earlier question.. yes a 7wt will cast those flies.. If I can do it with a 6wt.. you can easily do it with a 7wt

[QUOTE=Diver Dan;507366]... I just think it's better to be overgunned than under gunned.

Dan's got it right in more ways than one

Since some of the States best smallie fishing is within a few miles from me...I fish for them 90% of the time. My go to rod is a Med-Fast 9' 6/7 I built a few years back. It will throw everything up to and including large poppers.

Largest smallie this year was only a 17' but last year I got 2 back to back 22".

Larry

Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border

Quote Originally Posted by jedwards36 View Post
    Would a 7wt be adequate for 3"-4" size 6-4 clousers? I would like to use the same set-up for poppers and streamers.
    I use a 5 all the time with Clousers. I even throw smaller poppers on it. A 7 wt is fine. No problems.
    Quote Originally Posted by 45fisher View Post
    last year I got 2 back to back 22".

Larry

Those are big big Smallies, and to get two is amazing. I wouldn't be fit to be around for a week after that if it had been me.

Quote Originally Posted by Diver Dan View Post
    I use a 5 all the time with Clousers. I even throw smaller poppers on it. A 7 wt is fine. No problems.

Those are big big Smallies, and to get two is amazing. I wouldn't be fit to be around for a week after that if it had been me.
    Concur!!!!
    Cheers,
    --Rob

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12