Some recent tying!

bigjim5589

Reaction score
The Striped Bass season has ended here in MD, so some folks are turning their attention to various panfish species. I spent some time today tying up some flies to be used on perch & Crappies in our tidal rivers & in some of the state owned ponds.

I had recently purchased some of these small inline spinners, something that works well with either a fly rod or ultra light spinning gear.

I had these Aberdeen hooks, which are quite inexpensive, but good hooks for panfish. These are South Bend brand, likely made in Korea, but surprisingly good quality & sharp. This assortment ranges in size from about a 10 up to 1/0. I only used the sizes that looked to be #4's. A good size for panfish and one I use frequently. Unfortunately the pack is not marked for the sizes.

Here's the end result in some favorite color combinations. :D

bigjim5589

Reaction score
Thanks! Actually Fred, they're not Siwash hooks, just cheap Aberdeens. That's a good idea however! I know Gamakatsu makes a good Siwash in small sizes that could also be used. I used these hooks because I'll likely lose several of them & didn't want to get into too much expense.

The eyes are not over sized, but do fit the spinner wire very well. When I use these I'll tie on a tiny swivel & snap to aid in limiting line twist.

itchmesir

Reaction score
man.. them hardcore fly guys get PO'ed when they see a SJW at the end of a tippet.. these will surely give'em all heart attacks... haha.. nice ties.. may have to steal this idea when warmwater season kicks off here in MN again

bigjim5589

Reaction score
man.. them hardcore fly guys get PO'ed when they see a SJW at the end of a tippet.. these will surely give'em all heart attacks
Like I posted, these will be for panfish, so I don't know why anyone should get upset. To each their own! The fly & spinner combination is not new & was once very popular with fly rodders, even for trout. I used these quite a bit when I was a kid, or I would thread a spinner & clevise with a few beads on the tippet ahead of the fly, and they do work rather well. This adds some weight, some flash and a bit of vibration, so I don't see it as any different that adding some of the other materials we use. :smile:

williamhj

Reaction score
... I don't know why anyone should get upset. To each their own!
Ah if only everyone saw it this way! Post some pics of the fish you catch. I figure, as long as someone is fishing legally who cares if they are fishing my way.

dpreller

Reaction score
hey jim im from md to. are you fishing through the winter for panfish.

Guest1

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada bor
Ever since I lost one of Joni's Furled leaders and tried to recover it with scuba gear, I have been giving consideration to using a small spinner blade or something to create vibration in the water. I love the spot this happened because I catch huge Walleye there. However, once I went down in scuba gear I realized that the fish in that water in the best of conditions have about 16 or 18 inches of visibility. Those little spinners you have right there I could just clip on the flies I already have. :thmbup: Where did you find them?

It should be interesting trying to get one of those out of the water with a spey cast huh?:upset:

bigjim5589

Reaction score
hey jim im from md to. are you fishing through the winter for panfish.
dpreller, I'm going to try. I live in Arnold, but will likely be looking to give some of the Eastern Shore rivers a try, or perhaps some of the ponds over there.

I've fished at most of them in the past. Wye Mills Pond is a short drive as is Tuckahoe State Park. I'll probably also try Transquacking & Chicmacomico Rivers, both near Cambridge, and the Blackwater River. I have a Gheenoe that I'll be using.

Dan, I picked those spinner's up from an Ebay seller. I also saw a similar type on Cabalas website.

dpreller

Reaction score
thats great ive fished in those areas too and also fish out of a gheenoe. great little boats arent they. have you ever fished the ponds at idylewild. they can be really cool too. a little tought to get to with a boat but that helps keep the crowds away.

T

turbineblade

Cool - I was just going to add that I have some pistol pete flies (with a prop-type spinner) and find them nearly impossible to cast. Even roll casting them to the surface first, and then attempting a backcast usually didn't work. :eek:

bigjim5589

Reaction score
thats great ive fished in those areas too and also fish out of a gheenoe. great little boats arent they. have you ever fished the ponds at idylewild.
Yes, the Gheenoe is a great craft for shallow water angling, which is what I do most. I've not fished at Idylwild, but have fished Marshyhope, which is certainly another possible spot to try this winter. :)

dpreller

Reaction score
ive fished idylwild a good bit its a neat trip hauling the gheenoe back there and hopping from pond to pond. usually not many people there either. if you wanna give it a shot sometime shoot me a pm ill give you a tour.

bigjim5589

Reaction score
I don't do much pond hopping with my Gheenoe. It has 2 swivel seats mounted on metal pedestals which makes it a bit heavy. Even getting it in & out of my truck bed has become a chore. I can still do it, but like to be at the waters edge. I'm not a young man! :rolleyes:

I may take you up on that tour someday! Thanks for the offer! :)