Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  10
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Carpin

I do an 8wt because of the flies I'm throwing...

2. Default Re: Carpin

YES. LOL Seriously, I use both as I am not casting big flies. I caught them on both. Even the medium flexed AST by Allen's Fly Fishing, oh and really fun on my McFarland three piece 6 wt Glass. Seeing how close I could get the tip to my fingers was fun stuff LOL.
    I have a 10' eight weight that is great for changing currents in the rivers.

Default Re: Carpin

Awesome, most of my carp fishing will be ponds and maybe a slow flowing river so a 6 should be fun. I will set up both my 6 and 8 for carp just in case.

4. Default Re: Carpin

I use anything from a 6-8, and just match the rod to the size of the fish in the area I am targeting on a given day. The average carp out here is between 9-11 lbs, so for the most part I fish a 7 wt. I landed 19 fish this year that I scaled at over 20 lbs (30 lbs was my biggest), so an 8 wt is never too much out here, but I prefer the 7s. I use a six in one area where the fish are much smaller (5-7 lbs).

The three things I would never carp fish without...good polarized glasses, a net, and a scale. That is aside from the obvious! hah...

I'm right there with you all, waiting for this cold winter to end. I miss carp!
    John Montana

Carp on the Fly

I wish it was June.. I'm ready for Michigan!

Thanks John! I will use the 8 until I have a good idea of what size fish are in the different areas I will target. You also gave me an excuse to pick up a 7wt haha. I wear Costas so I should be good there! Tying some backstabbers and may see what I can come up with a crayfish pattern to bring in the new year.

Speaking of you carp-lovers, could you check out the back stabbed version I tied in the fly tying articles? Thanks. All criticism welcome.

That may be the biggest carp on fly these eyes have seen, great job, fantastic catch.

---------- Post added at 08:43 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:38 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by woodrivertroutbum View Post
    Do you guys prefer an 8wt or a 6wt for carp?
    I usualy use an 8wt but when you have hogs in skinny water a 10wt is not too heavy and gives you some chance of landing big ones before they wrap them selfs up, and break you off.

9. Default Re: Carpin

10 weight! I see that with vegetation.

Here is the 6 wt.

10. Likes bugslinger, Guest1 liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by delopez View Post
    Hey bugslinger, check out my fly on the fly tying articles section of this forum. I made a craft store version of the back stabbed. Let me know what you think.
    I cant find them throw me a rope

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast