Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  10
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Carpin

Default Re: Carpin

I tried to look for it but the only flies I see from you there are deceivers.

What do you guys think about using a 5 weight for carp? Depending of the area of the lake I fish they average 5-10 lbs with open water in one area and in certain areas they will average 10-20 lbs with a little bit more vegetation. So far I have only caught two on this rod and they were both 5 lbs on 4 lb line fishing by a boat dock. The reel I have on is a cheap clicker drag style, but this time I am hoping to put a Lamson Kronic on it this summer. Unless anyone can suggest one that would be better in that price range. I am wanting the reel mostly for the carp and gar fishing. When fishing for carp how does everyone fish, by wading and shore or off a boat? Sorry if this is a little loaded with questions, I love fishing for carp and am wanting to get more serious about flyfishing for them.

A 5wt is definitly do able, but you need to be really carefull with it. once you get a big boy on there you will want more then that. I caught my biggest carp yet on a 5wt and it was terrifying. Ending being close to 16 pounds. Never again. I bought an 8 wt that week and havent looked back. The konic will be a fine reel for them, I have landed them on konics, sages and cabelas cheapo brands.

I always fish for them wading since thats where I see most of them but if Im out on the boat then hey why not??
    "When you do things right, people wont be sure you've done anything at all."

Storm Drain Bonefisher

4. Default Re: Carpin

If there are bigger fish around I would use at least a 7 wt. carp are big, powerful fish. You won't feel over gunned with a 7 or 8 wt.

I wade for most of my fishing as well
    John Montana

Carp on the Fly

I would love to give Carp a try on the Fly rod, but I have yet to be able to find anywhere close to where I'm at where they swim. If any one knows of any locations in the Central Florida area.....
    Hey y'all watch this

Dont say that!! I want to move to that area of FL but no carp would be a total buzzkill !! :P
    "When you do things right, people wont be sure you've done anything at all."

Storm Drain Bonefisher

What do you all think about a carp forum??? We have great people here,maybe we could get one with some urging.

Charlie

I think John is spot on with the 7wt advise. This one was on a 5wt but I wasn't expecting it, and I had a few close calls bringing her in. I had the kids catching Bluegills at the local pond and decided to take a few casts. I don't usually fish in white sneakers lol
    The best way to a fisherman's heart is through his fly.

9. Likes bugslinger liked this post

I have been carpin with mixed sucess but I never take anything lighter than an 8 ,and if we fish skinny water with wood , heavy weeds,etc, we'll take the 10's. The 10 gives you the backbone to keep them out of the snags sometimes. We usualy use Seguar floro 17 lb tippets with the 10's, there is one river near the house that has great flats and big big Carp and I have thrown a 14' 11 wt. 2h to keep them for running into the wood piles the spring run off usualy deposit. They still manage to break off so we'll keep trying.

Charlie

11. Default Re: Carpin

I have used six weights and I am comfortable with them:

But I will admit, I use an 8 wt most times

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast