Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  10
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast

Thread: Carpin

Default Carpin

What is this cornball fly you speak of!?

---------- Post added at 01:32 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:46 PM ----------

Also, I might have to get a few flouro furled leaders from you, soon.

2. Default Re: Carpin

I don't use fluoro for the leaders, but Kevlar. I do use fluoro for the tippet in 3' to 5' lengths. PM me an address.
    The Corn ball is a Yellow chenille Glow Bug with a white softhackle collar. There was a tutorial on how to tie somewhere here. I will look around.

Default Re: Carpin

I usually use a small shrimp like pattern for tailing fish, can't think of the name...works out nicely though. Caught this one on a 7 weight Access.

Default Re: Carpin

Nice! I have an 8 weight Access rod that I use, myself. I do have another curious question though. Do any of your catch them on the swing at all?

5. Default Re: Carpin

Yes. Also while slowly stripping line in. There is a short time that the Carp are not spooked by anything and just hungry. Not a long period, but I find that later April or shortly after ice off.

Default Carpin

Ice just moved from my river, but I haven't caught anything yet. Of course, we have crazy weather that goes from 25 degrees one day to 60 degrees the next.

7. Default Re: Carpin

It really depends on their main forage. On the Columbia...i have caught maybe 5 fish in 9 years by feel (swinging, stripping, etc). I went to ID last spring, and 50% of the carp I caught were landed by blind stripping leeches. If they are active and feed on items they have to hunt down you are in business.
    John Montana

Carp on the Fly

Default Carpin

Is strange how two similar rivers with same species can have such different forage eating habits...

9. Default Re: Carpin

That is a big key point Delopez. I've caught carp in 7 states, and every single fishery was notably different. While a lot of flies will work in a lot of places (carp can and do eat just about anything) there really is no magic fly for all locations. That said...there is probably a magic or go to fly for your location. You just have to figure out the main forage and go from there in my opinion. Out here, I catch about 80% of my carp on this:

I think the worm tail is often taken for the extended foot of a clam. I caught this big guy on the fly above:

Good luck man...you'll get 'em this spring!
    John Montana

Carp on the Fly

Default Carpin

What is that? Damselfly representation? Dragonfly?

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast