Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  10
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Thread: Carpin

1. Default Re: Carpin

Me too, that is why I ran home and grabbed my gear. I looked the water over really well and saw tail tips every so often.

Default Re: Carpin

Joni, you must have some great weather there, I went out yesterday and the water temp is only 33 in the shallows on a small pond. nothings moving yet, too early for NW Pa. When we see constant 50's around spring Turkey then I'll see them shallow. Great looking fish.

Charlie
    There is nothing like Wild Trout ,Timber Rattlers and Cowboy coffee.

3. Default Re: Carpin

It has been insane cold here. This week we made it into the 40's for highs, but still 20's for lows. Ice just came off this pool, and I am guessing from wind more than temps.

4. Default Re: Carpin

I got three about a week ago:

Saw enough of this to give it a go:

That is the earliest I have had luck, and only one spot out of several that I checked had any fish showing. Realistically, we have a ways to go out here. Glad others are seeing some activity!
    John Montana

Carp on the Fly

5. Default Re: Carpin

Nice fish...been pretty chilly here in so. Oh. Still waiting

John you amaze me, great fish and a fantastic hat, wink, wink.

Charlie
    There is nothing like Wild Trout ,Timber Rattlers and Cowboy coffee.

7. Default Re: Carpin

Thanks for sharing your success, John and Joni. Earliest ever for me was April 10th, if I don't cheat and travel to Tenn. or Ca.
    If we ice out beginning of April , I can fish a large flat above a dam in my yak. Every year it provides some fun sleigh rides. I should look into areas 4-5 hrs. south of upstate NY/Vt for earlier chances. What are the coldest temps you find them active in? Mid-40's for me.

Charlie

8. Default Re: Carpin

Quote Originally Posted by bugslinger View Post
    fantastic hat, wink, wink.

Charlie
    I love my bugslinger hat Charlie!
    John Montana

Carp on the Fly

Filchy....are you say'n the carp are active in TN in April? I live just south of Nashville but I have never seen any carp in the small creeks that I fish. I do have a couple of places to check out this year. It has been colder than normal this year so I have not yet been on the water.

10. Default Re: Carpin

ditz, I use to take regular Spring trips to E. Tenn. Most of my time was spent chasing trout on the South Holston and the Watauga, but I had some other favorites. I don't know if you've ever been to Sevierville or Pigeon Forge, but there's some good carp water there that I fished in early April. Lots of fly fishing in April in Tenn. I liked chasing the White bass runs and fishing Melton Hill and Kingston for stripers. I think Kingston is still out of the question, after the ash pond disaster. If you want specific info, send me a message- I have friends whose spots I wouldn't burn on an open forum. I've also seen some huge ones on the Lower Holston I tried for while
    floating for early smallies. A friend who guides there is starting to target carp . For early carp, look for flats and mud banks that hold crayfish and warm up quick in the spring sun. I think I just told you what fly to use... Sunny days in the afternoon work best. You may also have to fish dingy water and fish by feel after spotting carp movements. I know that's pretty unpopular, but it's been productive for me, and my only choice in many places. Sometimes all you'll see is a bulge in the water. Carp displace a lot. I've fished with some excellent carp flyfisherman in Ca. that consistently fish waters with very low visibility. Learn to look for small clues.
    Last edited by fichy; 03-07-2013 at 12:30 PM.

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789