Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1
  1. Default Help selecting new rod and reel

I am going to start doing some fly fishing out of my kayak. It will be mostly for spotted bass ,bream and the occasional white bass. I am wondering what weight rod and reel would be good. and I do not want to break the bank either so some good suggestions on a rod and reel i could get for under $150would be great also.

Default Re: Help selecting new rod and reel

If there's a chance you'll be into large bass I'd get a 7 or 8wt. Check out Albright Fly Fishing, they have some rods/reels that will help you stay in budget. Otherwise, check fly shop closeouts or Cabelas/Bass Pro.

Welcome to the forum by the way.
    - William

3. Likes Guest1 liked this post
  4. Default Re: Help selecting new rod and reel

Thanks! I have been fishing on this lake my whole life with friends and family and have neve seen a bass over 6lbs come out of it. It is more of a crappie lake.

I just got my Albright GPX 9'6" 7/8 in the mail today.. Looks like a sturdy rod.. the extra length would be perfect for a kayak.. you should check'em out..

As for the size of bass.. it's still a good thing to have a heavier rod for bass.. especially if you're chucking streamers/poppers into heavy cover like lily pads and weed beds.. you'll be able to pull them out of the cover a lot easier

I use an Eagle Claw Featherlite in my kayak. Have less than $100 in the entire outfit, so if I loose it I'm not out too much. The short length isn't a problem for me, if the casts are too short all it takes is another stroke of the paddle to get closer.
    Mike

Echo 84 in 7wt.

Anything over 7' will work in a yak. I would suggest an 8' or longer but no heavier than a 7wt. For bream a 5wt is plenty heavy and a 7wt is over kill and you will be back casting the small ones. If you spend 30 to 40$ on a reel it should be more than sufficient. I personally use 45yr old Plueger Medalists. Even with moderate abuse they will last a life time but they are a little heavier than some of the new cheapies and I suspect they will last many, many years if not abused. Eagle Claw markets some cheap glass rods that will probably do what you want and a glass rod will take much more abuse than graphite. I use both and graphite is great if you don't abuse it. Fishing in a yak can be a little rough on gear so you might want to consider that. I will say that I am looking to buy a yak and also intend to use my graphites from it.

9. Default Re: Help selecting new rod and reel

I went to Bass Pro today and got a White River CV2 rod. It is A 7wt and was on clearance so I figured $25 was not to bad a price for it. While I was there I got a look at some of the large arbor redington surge reels. I think I may get one of them to go on my new rod.

tough to beat a $25 fly rod... not much to lose.. plenty to gain