7 weights....why no love?

nick k

Reaction score
It seems to me that 7 weights never get any love, regardless of target species. While the heated debate between 8wt and 6- for largemouth is rampant, very rarely is 7wt thrown in as a viable option.

In my opinion, 7wt rods could be the best compromise for LM fisherman, being high enough to hurl big bass bugs, but not overly so to make unintentional panfish seem like snagged twigs.

So my question, wheres the 7wt love? I personally use a 6wt diamonback for my LM fishing, but if I were to buy another rod for LM (probably a switch rod will be my next), then a 7wt it would be.

Thoughts?

mbchilton

Reaction score
A bass rod is one of my next purchases, and I'm actually thinking a 7 wt will do quite nicely. I'm with you!

zug buggin

Reaction score
Never gave it much thought but you are right, I have multiple rods in many sizes
1 3wt, 2 4wts, 2 5wts, 1 6 wt. 1 8wt but no 7 wt

Last edited:

nick k

Reaction score
I see so many people go back and forth about 6 and 8 for LM, very rarely see anyone say 7.

7 Also seems good to me because it wouldnt be extreme overkill for lighter fare, such as trout, and you could also have a sporty run with heavier fish, such as carp and musky, without being outgunned.

T

turbineblade

There's probably nothing wrong with a 7 weight, but it's too middle-of-the-road for me. I use a 6 weight a LOT -- but by the time I'm wanting to throw some huge #4 poppers or heavy clousers (or whatever else I have) the 8 weight just does it more easily.

That said, a lot of folks disagree. Harry Murray (a local legend here) prefers a 7 weight for smallmouth.

BTW - an 8 or 9 weight probably wouldn't spook any sunfish out there, so long as you don't aim your forward cast directly down at the water ;). My wife fishes an 8 weight all the time and catches more bluegill than she wants to catch.

coug

Reaction score
I am a big fan of odd numbers and am building up a z-axis 7wt now. Just sold an 8wt and a 6wt and this is the first replacement rod. My favorite trout rod is a 5wt, so a 7 wt just made sense when I got rid of the other two.

nick k

Reaction score
I use a 6 weight diamondback rod for all freshwater myself. Before I got that rod I used an orvis silverlabel 5 wt.

In my opinion, casting flies oversized to your rod/line actually improves your casting technique. Over time you learn what the most effective motions and subtle techniques are to get every last measure of performance out of your rod.

I throw 1/0 and 2/0 poppers, big fluffy mice, weighted crayfish, and big streamers with my 6wt because I've gotten used to hauling them out there.

I would definitely not be opposed to a little more rod/line weight to cast even farther, but unintentional panfish are so common when fishing for bass, and an 8 weight would be like an Olympic strongman walking an angry Chihuahua. That's where I think the 7 wt is perfect for anyone looking for a good compromise between fish play and cast length.

littledavid123

Reaction score
If you own a 7wt (I do) there isn't much reason to own a 6wt or 8wt rod. And what self respecting fly shop would ever promote a rod that has the potential to cut their sales...:D

Dave

ditz

Reaction score
My favorite all-round rod is a 5wt. I have a fast 7wt that I use for heavier fresh and light salt. I then go to a 9wt for salt and if I need really heavy fresh water rod but I don't remember ever using it in fresh. Most of my fishing is in local creeks and a 6' 2wt is my goto for SM, rockbass, BG and other fish here. Sorry, don't own a 6wt.

nick k

Reaction score
Now there's a good point.

Unrelated question. How do I post pictures on here? The insert image button is for web images (gives me url box) and copy and pasting into the box doesn't work.

kwb

Traveler of Both Time and Space
Reaction score
In my honest opinion, a 7 weight should be one of the first rods in any avid Trout or Bass anglers arsenal that likes to hunt BIG fish, they are the perfect rod for big streamers and surface flies...

7's have always been very near and dear to my heart!

shotgunfly

Reaction score
7wt with fighting butt ZG Helios is my go to for bass here on the shendandoah. It's a tip flex so it zings out those big hairy buggy bass flies with ease. And if there is a carp about, I got that covered. Sure I have a 5wt mid flex that I take along (in case the 7 snaps).

I skipped over the 6wt. I had a 5wt and a 6 would have left me light for carp.

Jackster

Reaction score
Don't include me in with those with no love of 7 weights. Not only are they great smallmouth and largemouth bass rods, they're good streamer rods and in a bit longer than usual lengths fanastic great lakes steelhead rods.

billyspey

Reaction score
I like my St.Croix elite 7 fresh water a lot only rod I ever broke fishing. St Croix gave great service ,I called them up and they sent a whole new tip section .didnt have to return anything and no charge. That is the best service on repair or replace. That I have ever heard of GREAT JOB ST CROIX !!!:D

Sage & Abel

Reaction score
I've been fishing 7 wt's for years for Great Lakes Steelhead. A 7110-4 Sage VXP is my go to Steelhead rod. It's too long IMO to throw big streamers for bass, that's what my 6 wt. is for :) It's too light for Kings, that's what my 8 wt.s are for :D

One can never have too many fly rods. But if I was hunting Steelhead with a single hander, I wouldn't be without my 7 wt.

Cheers,
Mike

bigtone1411

Reaction score
It's funny, but I can cast a good 7wt. farther than any other line weight. For me, it is the optimal line weight for distance casting. 6wt, is really good and so is 8wt. But something about a 7wt. I know distance is no where near as important as other factors. Just an observation.:D

john montana

Reaction score
7 is my go to rod...I use a 7 wt probably 90 percent of the time. Just a perfect carp rod for my waters.

tpo

Reaction score
I have about a dozen rods in the 3-9 wt range. I started largemouth fishing, mostly top-water, with an 8 wt outfit, but after some experimenting, I've settled on the 7 wt as my preferred largemouth rod. With 7 and 8 wt bass taper lines, there isn't much I can't cast with it, and I like the slightly lighter feel. I've never used it for trout though, my 3-6's are what I use there.

Tom