Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  23
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567
    Blog Entries

Default Re: 7 weights....why no love?

My Sage One 5 wt is my primary trout rod, but when I'm out targeting Walter with big streamers, I like to use my Sage Z-Axis 7 wt 10 ft rod.
    Larry

2. Likes coug liked this post

I'm an "even rod" kinda guy. 4-6-8wts for most of my fishing
    I did buy 7wt last week.....and that makes 4 of 'em for me
    I also bought a 5wt and two more 6wts so it's not like I'm converting
    The simpler the outfit, the more skill it takes to manage it, and the more pleasure one gets in his achievements. --- Horace Kephart

My local fly shop was Knocking the 7 wt for LM. I wish there was a clear cut decision so i can go buy a fly rod!!
    Hey Dryfly.....If you going to throw big bugs or streamers at bass a 9 or 10 is not out of reason. A 7 or 8 will handle many bass bugs and streamers. A 5 or 6 will do a fine job of small to even medium sized bugs depending on distance and wind. A 7wt with a lot of backbone will handle a surprising amount of wind and bass bug size. Depending on the line you choose. There is no black and white answer. You define your needs and then choose a rod and line. The reel for bass is of little concern and a $25 dollar one will work and last you many years even with hard usage.

Just remember....the heavier rod the more energy to cast over a long day on the water. ......sort of.....Casting big bugs on a heavy rod is easier than on too light of a rod if distance is needed. It is all a compromise

Quote Originally Posted by mcnerney View Post
    My Sage One 5 wt is my primary trout rod, but when I'm out targeting Walter with big streamers, I like to use my Sage Z-Axis 7 wt 10 ft rod.
    That z-axis is a nice rod! I built one up last spring and used it for lakes and it was great. Wish I could find more z-axis blanks.

I have several 7wts for SMB and LMB...and just about anything else of any size in fresh water.

8'9" Orvis Western Series
    9'0" Hardy Demon
    9'0" Custom rod by a young gentleman in Statesville, NC.

All of them cast great. Lotsa love for the 7 over here.
    It's not the heat, it's the stupidity.
    What manner of jackassery will I be subjected to today?

Blog Entries

Was thinking about this "no luv for #7" thing today dealing with stop and go traffic.

Car was bucking, lurching, coughing and very not happy. The close ratio trans wasn't adding to the fun either, and nether was the high ratio fully manual rack & pinion steering. When I built the car, I knew it would do this, just like I knew I was loosing some high end HP's to gain was low end torque. I have what I want though, a car that will get the funk out of it's own way in a very predictable, civilized manor and maintain control of the power and stop the same way, and it is agile all the way through everything I have thrown at it thus far.

Realized the same about my #7. It doesn't like +2/0 cat toys into the wind nor 1/8 oz chuck-n-duck clousers, but it does exactly what I need and want it to do. No need for a #6 or a #8 for me. If I ever find myself needing/wanting more, it'll be a #9.
    I'm currently out of my mind, but feel free to leave a message, and if you would like to reach me by phone, please hang up now.

Quote Originally Posted by nick k View Post
    20+ rods of a single weight? Do you actually use them all or do you keep them just because?
    The majority of my fly rods are fiberglass and work well with multiple weights. Although I don't get a chance to fish all of my fly rods I regularly lawn cast every one of them throughout the year. It's a pleasant form of therapy and for me, a 7 weight is the favorite weight to cast for target and distance.

9. Likes Rip Tide liked this post
  10. Default Re: 7 weights....why no love?

I always have a 7wt rigged on my smallmouth trips and fish them quite a bit when chunking articulated streamers for tailwater trout.
    Early to bed, early to rise, fish all day then tie flies!

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567