Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  2
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Speck on the Fly

I've been having pretty decent luck lately catchin these fellers on the ol' Fly rod. This one took an Olive Wooly Bugger

And yet another Pic of him.

I love catchin them on the Fly, they are little Bulldogs
    Hey y'all watch this

2. Likes mcnerney liked this post

Default Re: Speck on the Fly

Nice! I love catching those dudes on my 5wt.!

Idk, I'm not a huge fan of them. They are pretty, but when I set the hook they always swim towards me. Sometimes I even lose them because I can't strip in line fast enough.

Crappies are one of my favorite fly rod fish too! In the places I fish they don't usually get very big, and a 10" fish is a brute. On a 3 or 4 wt they're great!

I posted some flies awhile back & a few weeks ago of some I tied that I would use for them & other panfish. I have a couple of boxes full of buggers too that Ill use. I'm also a big fan of olive buggers, but pink & white also works well on Crappies.

Spinner Flies, size 4 hooks. Would use these with my 6 wt.

Simple Streamers, size 6, no added weight.
    Remember, no one likes to be behind the big truck, but that's better than being under it!

I would love to catch some on my 7' 3wt Avid
    Roofish

I know they're a lot of fun on the 5wt I would love to have an opportunity to catch one on a 3wt, seems like it would be an absolute blast. Now all I have to do is find a 3wt I can afford right now lol
    Hey y'all watch this

Check out the cabela's three forks three weight rod reel and line for 110 ish bucks. Works great, used it all the time until I got my 2 weight. In fact I used mine 3 times Id sell it to you for 70 if your interested.

Wait til you catch a beast, i caught one just shy of 16" and the thing fought like a turtle.
    "When you do things right, people wont be sure you've done anything at all."

Storm Drain Bonefisher

Black Crappie are called calico bass here in CT and one of the best times to catch them is coming up in just a few weeks, just after ice-out.
    They school on sunny days in south facing coves where the water warms quicker and will take dry flies and small poppers off the top as quick as you can cast them out. Big ones too.
    The simpler the outfit, the more skill it takes to manage it, and the more pleasure one gets in his achievements. --- Horace Kephart

Idk what crappie you all have around you. The ones here try to come jump in the tube with me as soon as they're hooked. I'd have to swim backwards if I wanted to see the rod bend.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast