Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Need help: Strategy session for very weedy local pond/lake

Default Re: Need help: Strategy session for very weedy local pond/lake

I have had a couple pop off, but I don't think it's due to the materials. If anything I thing it is due to the bend in the hook. It would seem that when tension is applied it would cock the hook in an "open" fashion.

I think the main trick to that is to NOT pinch the barbs down. We aren't catching delicate little trout here....
    Less likey, more green dots
    BrookFieldAngler.com

I would be more concerned about my vehicle and personal safety than catching fish if in a shady part of Atlanta. Are there other people fishing there? If the numbers are few there is probably a good reason.

Dave
    I was going fly fishing until my wife suggested it, now I can't tell who is outsmarting who!

Being "one with nature" requires a knowledge of what animals are living nearby and a weapon of sufficient magnitude to give you at minimum an equal chance of survival. No one has an invisible aura that animals can detect and sense your good intentions.

Ha! That's a good point about safety... But honestly, I feel pretty comfortable in most parts of Atlanta, and this one is relatively safe. I've seen a two other "locals" on the bank with their 5 gallon buckets and we'll gab a little bit (I'm a man of the people...)

Anyways, yall thanks for the great advice! The pattern I threw most of yesterday was an olive and white bendback, actually (failed to mention that...). Maybe I just need to try harder!

And just to clarify, all the weeds are sub-surface, growing to within about 1-2 ft of the surface in most placed.

I'll get some senkos and maybe try tossing out some worms on conventional tackle and see what happens.

It is colder (45-50) with a light rain today--any suggestions on swapping tactics? Thanks again this has been great!

My collection of fishing books is getting out of hand. Many get put away with out ever being read.
    One big exception to that rule was Practical Black Bass Fishing (1974) by Mark Sosin and Bill Dance (and illustrated by Dave Whitlock).
    It's packed with solid information on bass, their habitats and how to target them.

The simpler the outfit, the more skill it takes to manage it, and the more pleasure one gets in his achievements. --- Horace Kephart

Can you give me the cliff notes version? Hah! just kidding, I'll see if I can find a copy around here (or ebay..), thanks!

If you see bass at the surface I would say that they are ready for poppers. In most cases the weeds are just below the surface and small poppers can slide right over the top. I have some poppers listed online, designed for this scenario. I am not going to post the link here, but if you are interested you can send me direct message and I will provide a link to give you an idea of some things you might look for in your local shop or tie up your own.

Quote Originally Posted by piscatorial_phd View Post
    If you see bass at the surface I would say that they are ready for poppers. In most cases the weeds are just below the surface and small poppers can slide right over the top. I have some poppers listed online, designed for this scenario. I am not going to post the link here, but if you are interested you can send me direct message and I will provide a link to give you an idea of some things you might look for in your local shop or tie up your own.
    That little slider you sent would definitely do the trick!
    BrookFieldAngler.com

Quote Originally Posted by brookfieldangler View Post
    That little slider you sent would definitely do the trick!
    That's what I was thinking. I just want to be cautious about not plugging too much on here. Maybe I will just upload some photos. Thanks by the way.

Quote Originally Posted by piscatorial_phd View Post
    That's what I was thinking. I just want to be cautious about not plugging too much on here. Maybe I will just upload some photos. Thanks by the way.
    No worries! I'll snap a picture of it when I get home today
    BrookFieldAngler.com

Here's a couple of ideas that are easy to cast, land almost as quiet as a fly and have some good action and resemble minnows at the surface.

I call it my Sneaky Shad

And same body style in Chartreuse

11. Likes brookfieldangler liked this post
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast