gas was 29.9 per gallon
the newest rod was a Orivis Golden Eagle
your waders were rubber
mono was just coming into it's own
your favorite hat was a red plaid Woolrich that matched your hunting outfit

what did I forget guys????

Rip Tide

Reaction score
The first license that I ever had to buy was a Maine non-resident youth.
I don't remember exactly, but I'm thinkin' it was $3.50. That was a pretty big chunk of change for a 12 year old at the time and it took a substantial bite out of my spending money.

How about this...... when was the last time that you saw a fishing vest with a zip-off creel ? They all had them at one time :icon_lol:

watson

Reaction score
I remember when,

Fishing reports came from friends or family.

Hatch charts were at the river or in a book.

Urban riparian corridors were open, welcoming and inviting.

learning about a new river meant you had to go there.

Figuring things out for yourself came from from experience, family, friends or by using a book.

I first got a computer and the internet was still a stretch of the imagination. ( I am sure some of you remember when the computer was a stretch of the imagination :))

Cheers,
Watson

trout trekker

Reaction score
Western Portal Sequoia National Forest, Kern River
remember when....

Fly lines came in oversized Shinola cans.

Aeon was a hot brand in leaders.

The Scientific Anglers Rep was also the Uncle Josh Pork Rind Rep.

Your Powell Rod Rep camped out in your shops parking lot, instead of heading to the Best Western.

A middle aged man could pay a mortgage and raise a family on his hourly wages from a fly shop.

Fly show organizers were just happy to have people show up and it was free, even the parking!

Just a few of many, TT

theboz

Reaction score
The Cabelas sold flys in a little box ad in the back of Field and Sream and Outdoor Life / dozen flys FREE just pay $1 shipping .

When you had a new fly rod it was made of fiberglass! Some hollow some solid.

The only Salt Water Fly Fishing organizations were local clubs in New Jersey and Rhode Island.

If you had a fly rod at Montauk they called the guys in the white coats to remove you. Now it's the norm'

At Hermans Sporting Goods ( which was considered the expensive store) thread was 10 and tinsel was 15 cents. A cape was 3 or 4 dollars and bucktail was a buck (of course)!

After wearing your Red Ball rubber chest waders and Helly Hanson rain jacket in the surf all day you smelled like wet rubber and you knew what leg muscles were!

Thompson Model A was the vise to have.

In Salt Fin-Nor was the reel to have and match that with a Fenwick 12 wt and you were the man!

And the zip on creel that Rip spoke of the good ones had a strip of metal sewn in the inside to prop them open the cheap ones were just a bag!

And I don't remember ever having clear head cement I think it was all amber colored.

---------- Post added at 02:39 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:36 PM ----------

And the only fishing show was Gaddabout Gaddis the Flyong Fisherman.

theboz

Reaction score
I forgot these;
if you fished a tidal basin,salt or bay you din't need a license!
Sea Robins were as abundant as Bluegills
The Robins are still like that where I go! To many!!

---------- Post added at 06:14 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:09 PM ----------

This thread needs some pictures..

Remember when…

You’d buy thread like this, from these folks.

In quantities like this…..

For about the cost of a single spool of quality thread today?

TT
Herters was the Cabelas and Bass Pro Shop of that era! Wish the prices were the same as then!

dean_mt

Reaction score
Is this the official cranky old guy thread? :yikes:

Sorry but the only thing on that list I remember is being able to fish all day, alone. That has nothing to do with the century or year I lived in, but the time in my life. I wouldn't trade my family for anything, but I also cherish those years that I could fish when ever and where ever I wanted to for as long as I could take it!

L

Liphookedau

This thread needs some pictures..

Remember when…

You’d buy thread like this, from these folks.

In quantities like this…..

For about the cost of a single spool of quality thread today?

TT
Memories,I remember Herters long before I heard of Cabelas,I remember their Huge Catologues which had heaps of things never seen elsewhere.
I was only a Young Apprentice in those days,there was no Internet,Ebay,so everything had to be Via Mail Order or wait for The Local Stockist to get it in,it seemed forever waiting for The Latest Fly Lines to arrive as everything originally came by Cargo Boats.
Then we were introduced to Airmail & Import Duties.
There were always plenty of people Fishing,heaps of people Fished & everyone mainly Fished The Rivers as access was no problem,also most of The Dams & Lakes were just being Built & The Rivers weren't Silted as they are today.
Brian

Rip Tide

Reaction score
Herters was the Cabelas and Bass Pro Shop of that era! Wish the prices were the same as then!
I lived for the Herter's catalog.
John Montana's SOTM winning carp reminds me of when I was a kid and we would hunt carp of that size and larger with bow fishing equipment from Herter's..... hell, a good chunk of all my outdoor equipment came from them.
Still got most of it too.

theboz

Reaction score
I remember the cover of the catalog was yellow and red and the pages were B/W. If I saw those colors sticking out of the mailbox I jumped. Used to drool over the decoys!

---------- Post added at 06:45 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:38 PM ----------

Speaking of Bow Fishing my first rig was a Stemmler Glass Recurve with a beer can with dacron line taped on the bow! The arrow was a piece of fiberglass antenna with a fish point from Herters!

trout trekker

Reaction score
Western Portal Sequoia National Forest, Kern River
Now I’m getting nostalgic. Which is where this train, is going to come off the tracks.

Remember when.

“ Can you hear me now ? “, meant that you and your buddy, weren’t stretching the string between the two tin cans tight enough?

Your depth finder was synthetic twine wound on an old line spool, with a sinker on it’s end and knots tied every three feet?

You and your best friend, would go fishing and refer to each other all day long as Curt ( Gowdy ) and Virgil ( Ward ) ?

Your dad asked you to get the “Bottled Water“ and he meant the huge jug that was being carried for the cars radiator?

Sunset Line and Twine was in San Francisco along with Scott & Winston?

The local café was on a dirt lot with a hitching post outside it’s front door, that got used?

Coffee shops had toasters on each table, so you couldn’t complain to the waitress if your toast didn’t turn out the way you like it?

You could order Ham & Eggs in most any coffee shop and the ham was so large, it had to have it’s own plate?

Your town had cattle drives and a rodeo? Oh wait a minute, we still have cattle drives and a rodeo. Sorry.;)

...a “Bird’s Nest” didn’t have anything to do with a nymph, it meant your reel was fouled somethin' fierce.

TT

Last edited:

Vans

Reaction score
... you could fish all day - alone
8 dollars bought your license and a box lunch
gas was 29.9 per gallon
the newest rod was a Orivis Golden Eagle
your waders were rubber
mono was just coming into it's own
your favorite hat was a red plaid Woolrich that matched your hunting outfit

what did I forget guys????

I am 44 and i dont remember any of that. Way before my time ya geezer. :D

webrx

Reaction score
Penny candy could be bought for a penny, 2 cents for a tootsie roll pop

Your mom sent you outside to play with your friends and say don't come home til lunch or dark, and she didn't worry you were gonna get stolen or mugged or worse

Red Skeleton, Disney's Wonderful World, Ed Sullivan - that was entertainment

If you wanted to do research you went to the library

I remember 24 cents a gallon for gas

My first car cost me $7.00 to register and only needed a safety inspection - no such thing as smog, that was the stuff they only had in LA

if you wanted to heat something up you used a stove no such thing as a microwave

The coffee pot percolated

and one of my dad's favorites - he says he remembers the days when ships were made of wood and men were made of steel

Dave