1st Gill of the season

dakotakid

Reaction score
Lucky you to be able to utilize a fly rod this time of year. I caught over 30 gills today, but had to do it through the ice. In the meantime, a new fly rod sits in the corner feeling neglected.

kingofamberley

Reaction score
Bluegills are a blast to catch. Unfortunately we don't have them here. I have a few lakes South of me I fish once in a while for them though. This is one I got on a Clouser while Bass fishing.
You don't have bluegill around you? I didn't know such a place existed in North America :D

nick k

Reaction score
Bluegills are a blast to catch. Unfortunately we don't have them here. I have a few lakes South of me I fish once in a while for them though. This is one I got on a Clouser while Bass fishing.
Picture didn't work but must be a big bluegill to swallow a clouser. Then again I did hook one on a 1/0 foam frog once.

dpreller

Reaction score
dam dan for the first time since ive been on the forum i feel sorry for you. i couldnt imagine not flyfishing for bluegill. eventhough i love to fish for trout and smallmouth there is nothing like the simple joy and fun of throwing a popper on a four weight on a late spring evening in a pond full of whopper (8-10" ) bluegills

wabi

Reaction score
Good looking 'gill!

It can take a lot of effort to catch them this time of year, but it sure beats setting at home!

The PT nymph is often a good choice when they're deep and moving slow.

ditz

Reaction score
Hey Double D....Your lack of gills surprises me. I am sure that there are gill in Lac La Croix. I never fished for them but I believe that some fellas did and I saw a mounted gill that probably went close to 2# that was supposed to have been caught there. Smallmouth was always our target except for shore lunch and that was walleye. mm..mmm..mmm

nick k

Reaction score
Well lets remember that bluegill are just a species of common bream (particularly sunfish). Where there may not be bluegills, there could be redear, pumpkinseeds, or others.