Landing Carp

depenner

Reaction score
I'm going to make an effort to spend part of the coming season targeting carp. One question I have is landing them. Is a net recommended; if so, what size? I'll be both wade fishing and fishing from a kayak.

Thanks for the help

david

fichy

Reaction score
I use the same ones I use for steelhead, seem just right. A hoop that is in the neighborhood of 24x20 with a reasonable bag depth works for me. When wading, I slide them up on the bank. I also use a tailing glove-usually employed on salmon and steel- to hold them still and control them. If they're run-of-the-mill (no pic), barbless hooks get them released without even taking them out of the water- you'll rarely hook them deep. No sense giving them a rock massage getting them unhooked and released, tough though they may be.
Best of luck, they are truly a blast to fish for. I'm a rank newcomer to this forum, seems like there's a great knowledge base here. :)

Charlie

joshw

Reaction score
Frabill makes a steelhead net with a short handle, good size hoop and fine mesh that is very affordable. It makes a fairly good carp net and I like that the mesh doesn't tear up the fish's fins.

fichy

Reaction score
Josh, that's exactly what I had in mind.... My favorite net. I love the fine mesh and the flat bottom- I paid 22 bucks for mine in a shop on the Salmon River in NY- best net I've bought by far for the money. They are a great buy for a rubber bagged net. Frabill Salmon/Steelhead Wading Net
Here's a link I found to it. They carry very will hooked to a d-ring on the back of a vest or jacket- I use a big carabiner which I can unclip quick. Fits behind the seat of my yak well, too. Thanks for mentioning it.

Charlie

john montana

Reaction score
Two things I am never without when chasing carp. A net, and a scale. I use a Maclean net (not the ones with a scale in em). It has a good size hoop, rubberized mesh and not only folds in half, but telescopes when I push a button. I see a net as crucial.

joshw

Reaction score
For a scale I suggest you look at "Revive fish scale". It offeres a tear feature so you can weigh the carp in your net and has an audible beep when it locks in a weight on the digital screen. they are small and have proven to be accurate. They claim they can be IGFA certified and like the net I metioned previously are affordable.

depenner

Reaction score
Thanks for the help, everyone.

Charlie, I do have a question about carrying that net. If you're clipping it behind you, do you find that it gets in the way? I fish with a sling pack that does have a d-ring on the shoulder strap. The size of this net makes me wonder if it gets frustrating to have hanging off your back.

david

Josh, that's exactly what I had in mind.... My favorite
net. I love the fine mesh and the flat bottom- I paid 22 bucks for mine in a shop on the Salmon River in NY- best net I've bought by far for the money. They are a great buy for a rubber bagged net. Frabill Salmon/Steelhead Wading Net
Here's a link I found to it. They carry very will hooked to a d-ring on the back of a vest or jacket- I use a big carabiner which I can unclip quick. Fits behind the seat of my yak well, too. Thanks for mentioning it.

Charlie

fichy

Reaction score
David, I use a chest pack/backpack when carp fishing and as long as I have a couple of fly boxes in the chest packs to counterbalance the weight of the net it's OK. A little pain if busting through brush. If I'm hiking with it (something I do a lot ) I have a 60 lb. mono loop at the top of the hoop, so I carry the net backwards. Rides better that way. I also wrap the lanyard around the handle and hoop when I hook it at the handle end so it doesn't hang low. The Frabill isn't very heavy, so I imagine it would work fine hung upside down with a net magnet system. I stopped using those because my net kept getting torn off my back going through brush. I've put carp, salmon and steelhead to 25 lbs, in the net without the least problem.
Whatever you decide to use, I hope we get to see some nice carp in it.

Charlie

john montana

Reaction score
I wear a sling, and I clip the net with a carabiner to the side...often just attaching to the webbing.

That was from yesterday...the net came in handy as I smacked the carp yesterday.

And a big thanks to all of you guys that voted for slab of the year...that cheeky mojo 425 was part of the booty!

Side note, I love hearing people talk about nets etc. So much better for the fish than a boga grip, not to mention that it shortens the fight.

depenner

Reaction score
Charlie and John

Thanks for the tips on carrying the net with a pack/sling. We've still got winter, so it's probably going to be a few weeks till I can get out on open water (luckily the early c&r trout season opened Mar 1). I know some places nearby (Madison, WI) that should warm up early and have large carp populations.

david

john montana

Reaction score
Great reel! Water is too cold for the fish to really rock, but I will like this cheeky for sure.

bugslinger

Reaction score
I have never caught Carp as large as John does but , I'm keeping hope alive. I use a long baboo laminated handle with a rubber bag style webing made by Fishnak. I picked it up in BC a few years ago becuase I never had any luck with nets slung on my person. I stick the long handle between the wading belt and my back. It has a large hoop for Steelhead so if I get lucky and hook a big Carp it will fit in the hoop.;)

Charlie

delopez

Reaction score
I did land a cap on my spey, using a worm fly. highlight of my fishing year, so far. I need to not let them slip out of my arms before picture talking, next time.

delopez

Reaction score
hey check out my post about spey fishing for cats. if you can tell me what kind off carp that is, that would be amazing.