Need help getting set up

bpeterson

Reaction score
I should be getting my new rod and reel tomorrow or Saturday and was planning on making a trip to bass pro or cabelas Saturday to get line, backing, and tippit. My last reel was already set up when I bought it so I don't know much about backing, line, and all. I will be fishing for redfish, largemouth, and some speckled trout. I was looking at the rio redfish line, does anyone have any experience with this line?
Any recommendations for backing and how do I know how much to put on the reel?
And what should I do for the leader/tippit?

Sorry for all the questions and thanks for any help!

Blake

MoscaPescador

Reaction score
I should be getting my new rod and reel tomorrow or Saturday and was planning on making a trip to bass pro or cabelas Saturday to get line, backing, and tippit. My last reel was already set up when I bought it so I don't know much about backing, line, and all. I will be fishing for redfish, largemouth, and some speckled trout. I was looking at the rio redfish line, does anyone have any experience with this line?
Nope. I have not used that line.

Any recommendations for backing and how do I know how much to put on the reel?
If you plan on fishing an eight weight and plan to be fishing in areas with lots of snags, get 30 pound backing. It is much better to have a leader break than your backing to fly line connection.

And what should I do for the leader/tippit?
I'll let the redfish fishermen clue you into leader strategy. Depending on the fly size, it should be close to a bass leader.

My bass leaders are up to eight feet long tapering from 40 pound test down to 15/16 pound test. I like heavier leaders. The help turn over big flies. Also they are more durable in areas where there are more snags.

Sorry for all the questions and thanks for any help!
No worries, dude.

Dennis

raindogt

Reaction score
Man, I wish Dennis would chime in with some excellent answers for you..... Oh, nevermind. he already did.

The only thing that wasn't covered, is how much backing to put on the reel. I'd follow the manufacturer's specs. Alternately, you could load your reel 'backwards'- fly line first, then wind the backing on and fill it to your liking. After you have it filled to your liking, you will need to get the backing on the inside and the line on the outside with the proper end out (assuming you get WF line).

Or you could let the guy at bass pro/ cabelas load it for you-- shouldn't cost much to have them do it. If you buy the line and backing, they should do it for free.

MoscaPescador

Reaction score
Man, I wish Dennis would chime in with some excellent answers for you..... Oh, nevermind. he already did.
Thanks

Or you could let the guy at bass pro/ cabelas load it for you-- shouldn't cost much to have them do it. If you buy the line and backing, they should do it for free.
Oops. Forgot to mention this. Good call!

Dennis

bpeterson

Reaction score
Thanks for the answers! I will probably just get an employee to put the line and backing on for me although I would have rathered not for future purposes but I guess I can learn then.
One more question... How do you tie your leaders and do you just use mono fishing line?

rangerrich99

Reaction score
Chances are high that the guys at Cabela's or BPS in the fly shop will know what kind/how much backing to put on your reel, what kind of lines are popular for your fishing, leaders to use, etc.

ditz

Reaction score
I agree with the 30# dacron backing. GSP backing will cut you if you are not very careful. Smart move.....leader; I use a 40# mono butt section of around 4'. Then a mono tippet of 8 to 20#. What ever the situation demands.....I also use a loop to loop connection through out. EZ and quick change if needed. I use a double surgeon loop knot in the mono. :cool:....loop to loop will also work on the line to backing connection. A spider hitch works fine for the backing loop.

MoscaPescador

Reaction score
Thanks for the answers! I will probably just get an employee to put the line and backing on for me although I would have rathered not for future purposes but I guess I can learn then.
It is very time consuming to crank backing on. Fortunately I have access to a commercial line winder. In your case, you do not.

When you go to the shop, ask the sales guy how he estimates line backing. I can explain it, but it's rather easy if you see it done.

One more question... How do you tie your leaders and do you just use mono fishing line?
You can buy tapered leaders if you wish. If I feel like tying your own leaders, Ditz's suggestion is very basic and works.

If I feel like tying my own LMB leader, it is usually 4 feet 40 pound test, 2 feet 25 pound test, 2 feet 16 pound test. I use double Nail Knots jammed together. The butt end has a Perfection Loop on the end for a quick leader change with the fly line. It helps having a Tie Fast Knot Tyer for making the Nail Knots.

Dennis

williamhj

Reaction score
Winding backing does take some time but if you're sitting watching TV in the evening it's certainly not hard to do. Just need to learn a couple knots: I use an arbor to connect the backing to the reel and then a nail knot to connect the line to the backing, I think that is fairly common. If you're buying the line and backing anyways and they'll load it, no reason not to have them do it at the store.