Lunchbreak gill bustin!!

stl_geoff

Reaction score
Been fishing this park so far everyday this week. today was the most productive and yielded the largest bluegills/hybrids. Caught 10 or so, here are the best ones

Biggest one by far, damn near 10"

cuddling it

Bull gill

This guy seemed like a good fish to end the break on

nick k

Reaction score
Nice looking gills. I'm very jealous that you have a fishing area close enough to access during your lunch break. I've been dreaming of that scenario for a long time.

stl_geoff

Reaction score
Its actually further away now that our office moved, its like a 7 minute drive instead of a 4 minute drive, or a walk across the parking lot to the creek.

nick k

Reaction score
Still not bad. It's extremely hard to find places to fly fish in eastern MA (Boston area) without having to be out on the water in a kayak, tube, or boat. Almost every body of water here is surrounded completely in trees and thick vegetation.

attila

Reaction score
Nice gills Geoff. What rod is that ? I was out after work yesterday doing the same with my 3wt. Had one big fatty and a few average gills.

chased

Reaction score
Some nice gills there! Is that Sage Bass Bluegill series rod? Do you find it to be too much rod for bluegills? I usually use a fiberglass 3wt for foam terrestrials and little poppers. Talk about a fun time!

-Chase

shimloom

Reaction score
Nice fish. Love the 'gills. Sad some turn their noses up on these great little fish. Got a 11.5" one on a popper once. Thought it was a bass for a min.

Craig

chefdg

Reaction score
I was just telling my wife how nice it was to fish during my lunch break today when I saw this thread. We have a pond where I work that has tons of bluegill and bass. No gills that big, but I saw a monster bass near the bank that we've only speculated might be in there.

I was using a 3 wt rod and those little gills all felt like monsters. So much fun!

stl_geoff

Reaction score
That is my sage bass "bluegill" rod. Granted its a "6" wt, there can be alot of wind at this lake and this rod with the outbound II on it just cuts thru it like its not even there. Plus there are some bass in the 3lb range that cruse the shallows around all these gills so I want to have some rod with me.

I brought the 3wt with me today, that should be even more fun then the 6. I know I also labled the top fish as a hybrid, but after looking at it some more Im pretty sure they are redear and not the hybrids. I had a hybrid hooked but it flung the fly before I could land it. Going back at it today, so maybe more pictures to come.

achernan28

Reaction score
That's the kind of lunch break we all need! Looking forward to more pics and hopefully you can land the big bass some time.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

john montana

Reaction score
That is awesome. I finally found a great local pond full of gills and bass, but only have permission to fish it on Sundays. So hard to know it it 5 minutes away at lunch and not be able to go!

rockthief

Reaction score
Would love a tussle with those gills. THe local pond suffer from slime and other green **** already by the end of April. The chemicals from the grass seed field adjacent the pond feeds the vegetation. The size and number of fish has decreased. I still go there. The tug of the bluegill is a fine thing.

stl_geoff

Reaction score
Continued my tussle with the big gills today, another solid winner. Was definitly WAY more fun with the 3wt.

This guy was the biggest and gnarlyest, so that warrented his picture being taken

stl_geoff

Reaction score
It finally stopped raining sunday afternoon and today is warm and sunny. there's a 3wt in the truck and a fresh load of black bully's bluegill bugs in it, today should be a good day!

rickf

Reaction score
Almost every body of water here is surrounded completely in trees and thick vegetation.
It's a sad reality! The main reason I purchased a float tube is only because I can fish the places the shore fishin' guys can't get to!

Easy access means very little fish (lots of fishing pressure from the thousand bait boys) and usually trash all over the place.

I C&R and don't trash the water ........ but most guys today don't enjoy the wonderful experience that I do?

sg,

Nice 'gill! I'm doing the exact thing ..... and having the time of my life with my 3wt!

Same thing with trout! The easy access streams are almost fishless, but the hard to get to remote streams are packed with wild trout.

nick k

Reaction score
It's a sad reality! The main reason I purchased a float tube is only because I can fish the places the shore fishin' guys can't get to!

Easy access means very little fish (lots of fishing pressure from the thousand bait boys) and usually trash all over the place.

I C&R and don't trash the water ........ but most guys today don't enjoy the wonderful experience that I do?

sg,

Nice 'gill! I'm doing the exact thing ..... and having the time of my life with my 3wt!

Same thing with trout! The easy access streams are almost fishless, but the hard to get to remote streams are packed with wild trout.
That's why I got a float tube as well. Still hard to find places clear enough to launch it though. Parking can also be an issue.

stl_geoff

Reaction score
I hadnt been taking pictures lately as I've been catching too many fish to use the camera haha. The bluegill have been nuts all week, and I forget how much fun my 3wt is to use. Some of the bluegill are so big it feels like the rods going to break and I cant pick them up out of the water haha. Also spice up the mix with a small largemouth now and then.

stl_geoff

Reaction score
bluegil!!!!!!!!!

Still catching em. My mom went to a park I told her about today and she said she just slayed them. Almost every cast was a gill or baby bass, then she got surprised by a 12" catfish!