Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  3

Default The best that a fly rod has to offer!

I have been smackin' the big bluegills for the last couple weeks. I fish a few lakes in central PA in a float tube with a 3wt. I tie my own flies, and my fave is a micro bugger or a sponge cricket.

Super fun! I like it so much more than trout fishing.

also a few small largemouth:

2. Likes dakotakid, nick k, baseman1 liked this post
    Blog Entries

Default Re: The best that a fly rod has to offer!

Hi Rick,

You've been quiet for awhile, I always enjoyed them when I would get into a good batch. I saw you're from PA and had to give an atta boy to ya.

Ard

Anywhere can be the land of great expectations, broken dreams, or paradise found, it's all up to you.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard
    Ard's Forum blog, Alaska Outdoors

I've been doing the same thing rick. Had a couple 40+ fish days last weekend with my 2wt and my float tube.

My main producers have been black foam beetles and MM minnows. I was getting so many fish I actually stopped setting the hook towards the end unless it felt like a big fish.

Gotta love them blues.

Quote Originally Posted by Hardyreels View Post
    Hi Rick,

You've been quiet for awhile, I saw you're from PA and had to give an atta boy to ya.

Ard
    Yeah, I live in York, PA ...... God's country! I'll have to get back to NAFF! I remember you also!

I've upgraded my float tube to a Scadden Outlaw Escape. It is so wonderful and so much fun to fish from. I put it on my car top ...... so easy, so light.

And I upgraded my Superfine to a Helios. I tie all my flies and I fish all the central PA streams (Yellow Breeches, Penns, Letort, Cadorus, Muddy Creek) and I fly fish most of the lakes in central PA.

I've become addicted to fly fishing. Bluegills (my fave) to carp and saltwater, it's my passion!

---------- Post added at 11:53 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:41 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by nick k View Post
    I've been doing the same thing rick. Had a couple 40+ fish days last weekend with my 2wt and my float tube.
    Nick,

I saw your posts! Excellent! I'm having the time of my life with the abundant Bluegills, a float tube, and a UL flyrod. I used to use a 1wt Superfine, but I broke it four times ...... and now I use a Helios 3wt. I catch a lot of big gills around 9" and this 3wt is just perfect for me.

Can life possibly get any better?

Tight Lines,
    Rick

My goal is to bring in a carp on my 2wt this summer.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again. If Bluegills grew to 10lbs, I would never fish for anything else! Gills on a 3wt always make for a great day.
    The best way to a fisherman's heart is through his fly.

Quote Originally Posted by swirlchaser View Post
    Gills on a 3wt always make for a great day.
    Swirl,

So very true! It's my fave type of fishing.

Sometimes, I take my L action spin rod to catch some largemouth bass. I have a neat Stradic and the new NanoFil super line and I "wacky" rig some Senkos. Sure, I'll catch 3 or 4 bass (some big ones too) but that is nowhere near as much fun as >50 beautiful Bluegills with my 3wt.

Same thing with carp. I have a couple "Euro" carp outfits (12' rods and electronic strike sensors) and I can catch a few ....... but this year I'll use my 8wt and some carp flies.