Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  4
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Exotic continued

Default Re: Exotic continued

Quote Originally Posted by nick k View Post
    I was under the impression that some points are brackish water, which is why so many saltwater species are present and can survive. Maybe I'm wrong.
    The way it was explained to me and from what I read the only brackish water is at the beginning of the water treatment areas and that all the Miami canals are strictly fresh. Also i was told that many were at one tjme all salt and were converted and that any that hook up to the Everglades system are fresh.Most of the canals in Ft Lauderdale and upper Florida are salt or brackish. Jacks and Tarpon seem to have no problem tolerating the freshwater.Its really cool the way the whole system works!
    "I was born to fish" Lee Wulff
    "There's more B.S. in fly fishing then there is in a Kansas feedlot." Lefty Kreh
    " It ain't over till it's over." Yogi Berra
    "Your not old,you've simply acquired a patina." Swirlchaser

My knowledge is minimal but I did visit Blue Springs State Park so my wife could see the manatees. The river is spring fed and clear as drinking water and I was surprised to find several Tarpon in the river and it is sweet water. There was also a lot of big gar. Sorry to say that there is no fishing allowed. The biggest tarpon I saw was probably in the 40 to 50# range. There was also at least 2 or 3 schools of 2# fish that I believed to be tarpon as well.

Quote Originally Posted by ditz View Post
    My knowledge is minimal but I did visit Blue Springs State Park so my wife could see the manatees. The river is spring fed and clear as drinking water and I was surprised to find several Tarpon in the river and it is sweet water. There was also a lot of big gar. Sorry to say that there is no fishing allowed. The biggest tarpon I saw was probably in the 40 to 50# range. There was also at least 2 or 3 schools of 2# fish that I believed to be tarpon as well.
    When it comes to manatees they don't want to see anything happen to them like a hook. Meanwhile there all over the upper keys and people are throwing hooks around them all day long. And some of them get huge. My son was casting from the shallows in Marathon one morning and a big one floated by him with the tide. He ran out of the water do fast it was hysterical especially when I told him they were big harmless blobs!
    "I was born to fish" Lee Wulff
    "There's more B.S. in fly fishing then there is in a Kansas feedlot." Lefty Kreh
    " It ain't over till it's over." Yogi Berra
    "Your not old,you've simply acquired a patina." Swirlchaser

University of Miami (where I want to college) has lots of them that swim through the canal that runs by the business school. They are not actually that harmless I think. I've heard they are very territorial.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123