Stress Relief

flyguy97

Reaction score
Got out today with a new fly pattern, ready to unstress after my AP test. First 3 cast I had a few nice swirls but all missed it, on the fourth cast my fly hits the water and I see a tail whip around and I have him hooked. Ended up being about a 1.5 lb bass, quite a fight on my 3 wt around weeds. Also the biggest fish caught on the fly for me. Saw some wildlife too. :D good day

jimp

Reaction score
congrats on getting to go fishing and catch something, GL on the tests.

grouch

I don't deserve a title
Reaction score
And that is exactly what makes warm water fly fishing so great, rod/reel and a little else. It's about as pure as you can get. Well done.

flyguy97

Reaction score
Can someone I'D this for me? Its short, fat, and voracious. I have only caught a handful and have never been able to figure out what it was. I'm only aware of bluegill, redears, green sunfish, bass, crappie, and a single pumpkinseed ever caught in the pond. Any guesses?

half fast

Reaction score
Looks like a rock bass to me.

[ame="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rock_bass"]Rock bass - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia[/ame]

theboz

Reaction score
Need to see a better pic of the head . Could be a Warmouth or an Orange Spotted Sunfish or a natural hybrid . Like I said need a head shot! Definately not a Pumpkinseed or Rock Bass . I'm leaning towards a Warmouth or Hybrid.

---------- Post added at 07:39 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:27 PM ----------

Ok I enlarged the pic and counted dorsal spines and pecs and it is a Warmouth ! Cool looking one at that!

---------- Post added at 08:05 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:39 PM ----------

And it's a male judging by the small orange mark towards the back of the dorsal where it joins the body. These fish are like bluegills in that they look different in diffrenr waters especially coloration!

nick k

Reaction score
Saw some nature myself the other day. Was fishing a local pond and was about to leave when I heard a HUGE splash. Sounded like someone threw a boulder into the water. I then saw a pretty big shape moving in the water, leaving a decent sized wake as it went. Looked like a small crocodile (obviously it was not since I live in MA. It was getting dark so I couldn't see what it was until it swam to within 15 yards of me. Turned out to be a large beaver cooling off. Every minute or so he would flip over, pound the water, and dive underneath. It was really cool to see.

flyguy97

Reaction score
Thanks for the info! I was leaning towards rock bass or warmouth but now I know. He would probably look cool in a tank.

South Holston

Reaction score
ain't nothing like it. Way to go.
My first fly rod was a 10' small diameter limber cane pole with 12' of mono attached to it+ a popping bug. My Dad and I would do that several afternoons a week. It was the best times of my life.
Enjoy young man- really enjoy.