Gar on the fly I had to try! No successes fun trying!

okbow68

Reaction score
I have been watching a lot of videos about catching gar with a rope fly. I've been making indicators with polypro yarn so I decided to make up a gar fly with it. Made it about 6" long white with a little red for color. I did not tie it on a hook just looped it over and whipped it then frayed it. Me and the boy took his new 6wt to a local creek that always has long nosed gar in it. With all the rains it was up and muddy but we saw several gar. The largest about 36" probably. That fly was hard to cast no room for a back cast, couldn't chuck and duck it cause when it was lifted out of the water it instantly lost weight. Is that why they use regular nylon usually to retain water for weight? I thought the polypro would be good, maybe it is with room to back cast. Thanks for reading, looking for comments and suggestions.

stl_geoff

Reaction score
I have all of my rope lies made from regular old hardware store nylon rope. Definitly white with some red in them, drive those fish nuts for whatever reason. The nylon flies cast pretty easily, from all positions. Its even easy enough to roll cast while sitting in a kayak. They are fun as all get out to play with, almost everyone I've caught comes straight out of the water once you pull on them.

okbow68

Reaction score
Thanks guys

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

okbow68

Reaction score
Got some twisted nylon to make some gar flies with. Anyone with a length versus line weight recommendation? Our offering the other day was about 8-10 inches long using a 6wt setup.

ditz

Reaction score
I had a knowledgeable gentleman recommend that I use a #10 hook on longnose gar. I have not yet had the opportunity to try it yet but I do have a lot of faith in the fella that told me that. He ties on the the 10 hook a fly he calls the squirrely.

pszy22

Reaction score
For those who have done it, how easy is it to get the teeth out of the rope once you land the fish?

okbow68

Reaction score
I was going to try again after work but my spot that is close had people swimming in the creek.

stl_geoff

Reaction score
Its pretty easy. Just kinda comes out like zelcro. A small brush helps get it out as well. Wear a leather glove, they are super slimy and difficult to hold.

theboz

Reaction score
I have all of my rope lies made from regular old hardware store nylon rope. Definitly white with some red in them, drive those fish nuts for whatever reason. The nylon flies cast pretty easily, from all positions. Its even easy enough to roll cast while sitting in a kayak. They are fun as all get out to play with, almost everyone I've caught comes straight out of the water once you pull on them.
Agreed 100%! Red and white lawn chair and red foam made my last batch . Now if I could only land one ! 0 for 32 it's got to get better! Haha!

stl_geoff

Reaction score
I try to let them wiggle free before i get them all the way in. i dont reallly want to deal with touching them and combing out their teeth and making sure that they can still freely move their mouths, so i generally will get them close to me, touch the leader and call it a catch, then I'll give em some line and they will 99% of the time come free.

stl_geoff

Reaction score
The big ones arent too bad, its those little ones inbetween that you really gotta watch for. those are EXTREMELY sharp.

okbow68

Reaction score
Heck if it would quit raining enough here in OK so the water would drop and clear up some so I could try it again I would be happy.