Carp report

john montana

Reaction score
Basically every year since college, my buddy Justin and I have been lucky enough to spend a few days each spring fishing together. Pretty astounding that we have kept this trip together over the years, given lives, wives, and kids. Really, it is because our wives are fantastic. Considering that we live well over 2000 miles apart, we never take this for granted. Since the carp bug has really taken a hold of us, we have pretty much turned this into a carp trip, and for the fourth year in a row we pounded on Lake MI for 3.5 days. This year we absolutely nailed it.

The fish were thick, and we walked into masses of them. My home waters require tiny flies, and a tea cup size target, but the great thing about lake MI is the fish will chase big flies and streamers, often moving from quite a distance to smash stripped and hopped flies. Quite a sight for visual junkies like us.

We have had good trips in the past, but this was just insane. We landed a rough total of 135 carp (and a bunch of bass). The real amazing thing was the quality of the fish. We netted and weighed 20 carp that were over 20 lbs. The biggest fish weighed in at 31 lbs (an amazing fish that Justin took on a two inch long black bunny leech on day 3). We would net, weigh and release 18 lb fish with barely a mention or a nod...it was just crazy.

It is going to take some reflection time to really process this insanity. J and I love our time together and while we have had some great trips over the years, this one was truly amazing.

Huge thanks to our wives and kids for letting us do what we do...we fully realize how special and ridiculous walking a huge lake with a fly rod in hand really is.

mcnerney

Administrator
Reaction score
John: Wow! What a great trip, hard to imagine getting into fish better than what you two encountered! :D

theboz

Reaction score
Ditto what Larry said! That's carpin till you drop at it's best! Congrats on an awesome trip!! Guess I need to take that Beaver Island trip I keep on getting invited to ! Incredible!!

jpbfly

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Congrats John:thumbsup:...I caught a few carps while fishing for chub and I know how hard these fish fight;)The last pic is outstanding ...it clearly shows how powerful these fish are:eek:

rickf

Reaction score
Amazing! Your report just pushed me over the edge with this carp on a fly thing.

I'll be "carpin" as soon as the water goes down.

Thanks so much for posting.

paflyfisher

Reaction score
Nice fish John saw some on IG, Makes me want to go to Lake MI so bad looks like a blast

shimloom

Reaction score
Fantastic trip! Glad you have a friend to share your passion with, just awesome fish. Glad it was one for the books!

Craig

mbchilton

Reaction score
What a trip! Waiting for the water to recede a bit before I give carp on the fly a shot for the first time.