Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1

Default A day of Firsts for me LOL

Actually went fishing with the TFO Pro Special 5wt rather than "practicing", first time I've actually fished using a fly rod, first time I've used a fly rod in my yak (WS Ride 115) and first time I've stood up in my Ride as well. I'm tired.

The fish was a 5" gill, but its a legit fish caught on my fly rod, sorry no pics as I left the phone in the truck. Of all days to do that huh?? I think I ticked the little guy off because I kept throwing that black foam spider at him cause he kept slapping at it and hitting it, so I finally waited long enough for him to actually take it under, and got a good hook up. Think I might keep this rod, starting to get the hang of this one, its been a battle but I'm making some progress with it anyways. Caught several other gills and a SMB while messing around with a spinning rod shooting some docks.

I still need more practice with the fly rod (bout half the casts were UGLEEE), and standing in the yak. Don't think I'll be standing and casting in the yak anytime soon tho.

2. Likes mbchilton liked this post

Default Re: A day of Firsts for me LOL

Congrats! The first fish is just so memorable! just stick with it, practice on the water, and when it starts to get frustrating just step back and take a couple deep breaths.
    Tight lines!

Blog Entries

JIm: Congrats on a great outing, remember it isn't all about the size of fish we catch, it'w more about the total experience and the fun in being in the outdoors!
    Larry

Congrats on your several firsts!

Next is tie a fly and catch a fish on it.

Quote Originally Posted by jimp View Post
    Actually went fishing with the TFO Pro Special 5wt rather than "practicing", first time I've actually fished using a fly rod, first time I've used a fly rod in my yak (WS Ride 115) and first time I've stood up in my Ride as well. I'm tired.

The fish was a 5" gill, but its a legit fish caught on my fly rod, sorry no pics as I left the phone in the truck. Of all days to do that huh?? I think I ticked the little guy off because I kept throwing that black foam spider at him cause he kept slapping at it and hitting it, so I finally waited long enough for him to actually take it under, and got a good hook up. Think I might keep this rod, starting to get the hang of this one, its been a battle but I'm making some progress with it anyways. Caught several other gills and a SMB while messing around with a spinning rod shooting some docks.

I still need more practice with the fly rod (bout half the casts were UGLEEE), and standing in the yak. Don't think I'll be standing and casting in the yak anytime soon tho.
    Grac with first time on fly-fishing! I wish you to continue in the spirit of good!
    we all understand why you forgot cell in track
    how stable is your WS Ride 115 ?
    "Leave it as it is. You cannot improve on it. The ages have at work on it, and man can only mar it." Theodore Roosevelt
    "Live with your eyes open, you might notice something and you will have the opportunity to share it with the world." Argail