Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  7
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 13

Thread: 1st LMB on a topwater fly

  1. #1

    Default 1st LMB on a topwater fly

    My name is Gabriel........and I have a problem.....

    today I caught my first LMB on a topwater fly (foam frog popper) and actually felt a tingling in my body that signaled the start of a dangerous fly fishing addiction.

    I had already come to grips with my addiction (got a 6 wt and 8 wt TFO mangrove in a span of about 3 weeks) but today took it to a new level.

    In fact, while recounting the story of how I landed the fish to the old lady.....she gave me the look of, "we both know that you are now gonna go after a different fly fishing set up."

    So onto the actual hook up:

    I had tied on a small nymph and had been catching bream after bream for about an hour and then decided I would go after bass on top. I tied on the frog popper and sure enough....that was the ticket.

    I make the perfect cast, (at least in my eyes it was perfect) let the ripples die out......make one large strip of the line and the fly goes under with a beautiful "pop!"

    The fly comes up for air and I let the fly sit for a second or two and then give it two short strips......I let it sit......and then BAM!!!! the fly goes under and I feel the tug of a nice little fish!

    The fight was beautiful! The fish actually went aerial 3 times and rolled itself in the line while jumping towards some lili pads, but some quick pulls of the line and it was free again and I brought it to shore.

    my first LMB on a topwater fly. Far from a lunker........but it was beautiful.


    Definitely one of those fish I'll remember forever. It made me remember how my mom helped me get started fishing when I was about 8 years old.......she did the best that she could......

    21 years later.....still in the sport and locked onto flyfishing.

    sorry for the lengthy read.....but really excited about this 1st for me.

    I took some pics with the new camera but I don't have the right to post attachments so as soon as I do....I'll post pics.

    thanks!

  2. #2

    Default Re: 1st LMB on a topwater fly

    Great story! Topwater bass, there's not much like it. It is so visual and explosive. Taking them on streamers is fun cause you feel the hit, but watching it happen is amazing. Thanks for posting the story!
    - William

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    St. Louis, MO
    Posts
    1,844

    Default Re: 1st LMB on a topwater fly

    Cant bet them man, welcome to the club. Start saving money so you can just start dumping it right back into the sport haha. Its a vicious cycle.
    "When you do things right, people wont be sure you've done anything at all."

    Storm Drain Bonefisher

  4. #4

    Default Re: 1st LMB on a topwater fly

    Top water bass is an addition in it's own right. Throw a fly rod into the game and you are toast! Congrats to the first of many. The excitement never gets old
    Less likey, more green dots
    BrookFieldAngler.com

  5. #5

    Default Re: 1st LMB on a topwater fly

    Quote Originally Posted by williamhj View Post
    Great story! Topwater bass, there's not much like it. It is so visual and explosive. Taking them on streamers is fun cause you feel the hit, but watching it happen is amazing. Thanks for posting the story!
    I've been into fishing now for about 8months or so and have landed a couple of bass with streamers and you're absolutely right. Its a added dimension to feel for the hit.

    One of the things i used to do as a young teen was make my own fishing "rod" out of a water bottle. I would wrap the line around and around and then toss the line out. That actually provided great training as i had to rely solely on the feel of the line between my fingers.

    Why new that would come back and full circle and be helpful...

    Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2

    ---------- Post added at 09:04 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:44 AM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by stl_geoff View Post
    Cant bet them man, welcome to the club. Start saving money so you can just start dumping it right back into the sport haha. Its a vicious cycle.
    One of the things important gonna do this month is try to make it out to the local fly fishing club monthly meeting.

    I was telling the old lady that i love me new 6wt mangrove and its awesome to catch bass on it but how good would it feel to catch em on something like a 4wt or 5wt.

    I was telling her that joining this club would be good to make friends and cast differrent rods to see how different they feel when catching. I feel like my mangrove has great backbone and make that affects how the catching feels?

    I told her that it was definitely overkill for the small sunfish and bream i kept catching.

    After this conversation she just stared at me and told me that i just wanted another set up. It was kind of anti climactic.....

    Either way....you're right....important starting a jar and saving up for a 4wt maybe.

    Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2

    ---------- Post added at 09:34 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:04 AM ----------

    I don't look it in the pic but im pretty dam happy!



    Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Pinedale, WY
    Posts
    18,757
    Blog Entries
    50

    Default Re: 1st LMB on a topwater fly

    As the others have already stated, it doesn't get any better than top water smallie fishing. You are right a 4 or 5 wt would be a better setup for the size of smallies your catching.............the addiction only gets worse and the worst part is there is no known cure, it's best to sit back and enjoy the moments that will come!
    Larry


  7. #7
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Posts
    256

    Default Re: 1st LMB on a topwater fly

    Congrats
    ...some men go to church and think of fishing while other men go fishing and feel closer to God

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    831

    Default Re: 1st LMB on a topwater fly

    Congratulations, and nice post. There is something magical about seeing your fly being taken from the surface by a predatory fish. It gets the heart pumping before you feel the weight of the fish or the first head shake.

    There's nothing like it.

    -VB

  9. #9

    Default Re: 1st LMB on a topwater fly

    Great to see the pictures! Here's a video that might get your heart pumping. Never done it but taking pike on topwater flies might top bass, something fun about these predators slamming a fly.

    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4NXj7tyJtto"]Topwater Pike[/ame]
    - William

  10. #10

    Default Re: 1st LMB on a topwater fly

    Quote Originally Posted by tsubeta04 View Post
    My name is Gabriel........and I have a problem.....

    today I caught my first LMB on a topwater fly (foam frog popper) and actually felt a tingling in my body that signaled the start of a dangerous fly fishing addiction.

    I had already come to grips with my addiction (got a 6 wt and 8 wt TFO mangrove in a span of about 3 weeks) but today took it to a new level.

    In fact, while recounting the story of how I landed the fish to the old lady.....she gave me the look of, "we both know that you are now gonna go after a different fly fishing set up."

    So onto the actual hook up:

    I had tied on a small nymph and had been catching bream after bream for about an hour and then decided I would go after bass on top. I tied on the frog popper and sure enough....that was the ticket.

    I make the perfect cast, (at least in my eyes it was perfect) let the ripples die out......make one large strip of the line and the fly goes under with a beautiful "pop!"

    The fly comes up for air and I let the fly sit for a second or two and then give it two short strips......I let it sit......and then BAM!!!! the fly goes under and I feel the tug of a nice little fish!

    The fight was beautiful! The fish actually went aerial 3 times and rolled itself in the line while jumping towards some lili pads, but some quick pulls of the line and it was free again and I brought it to shore.

    my first LMB on a topwater fly. Far from a lunker........but it was beautiful.


    Definitely one of those fish I'll remember forever. It made me remember how my mom helped me get started fishing when I was about 8 years old.......she did the best that she could......

    21 years later.....still in the sport and locked onto flyfishing.

    sorry for the lengthy read.....but really excited about this 1st for me.

    I took some pics with the new camera but I don't have the right to post attachments so as soon as I do....I'll post pics.

    thanks!
    cool story Gabriel ! Keep on in the good spirit!
    look for sale in August on this website: Fly Fishing Brands at the Blue Quill Angler
    "Leave it as it is. You cannot improve on it. The ages have at work on it, and man can only mar it." Theodore Roosevelt
    "Live with your eyes open, you might notice something and you will have the opportunity to share it with the world." Argail

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Topwater smallies
    By stimulator2 in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-06-2013, 03:21 PM
  2. Albright Fly Fishing reel Topwater 5/6
    By Ebay USA in forum Fly Reels for Sale
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-09-2013, 08:20 PM
  3. Albright Fly Fishing reel Topwater 5/6
    By Ebay USA in forum Fly Reels for Sale
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-23-2013, 05:30 PM
  4. Albright Fly Fishing reel Topwater 5/6
    By Ebay USA in forum Fly Reels for Sale
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-20-2013, 05:20 PM
  5. Albright Topwater Fly Outfits
    By JeffK in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 12-19-2008, 12:10 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •