Small. Mouth. Bass.

shug11

Reaction score
Chicago, but Kanakee River on the weekends
Just wanted to post some of my smallies that have said hello to me in the past 2 months.

This was in early May...Here are some of the fish:

First week of June, this unknown illness came upon me again. I call the bossman early in the AM, he gives me the ok, then I call my buddy. Once again, the only cure to this sickness is being on the river, what could it be? Anyways, we get to our normal spot, and oh man, was it amazing..

This was all caught in 1 spot. Fishing was great for about 3 hours before it started to slow down.

PS.. All fish were CNR. No fish was harmed, except a small bluegill who had the appetite of a whale. But I think he'll make it.

mcnerney

Administrator
Reaction score
Wow! You guys found Smallie nirvana, that was fantastic pulling that many great looking fish out of one location, congrats!

boyscout

Reaction score
Wow, those are some really nice smallies. Congrats on a day of catching.

You mentioned a chart wooly. Best day I ever had on smallies was with a chart/yellow Deciever. Must be something about that color. Caught my biggest striper on the same thing.

Thanks for sharing your trip!

shug11

Reaction score
Chicago, but Kanakee River on the weekends
Wow, those are some really nice smallies. Congrats on a day of catching.

You mentioned a chart wooly. Best day I ever had on smallies was with a chart/yellow Deciever. Must be something about that color. Caught my biggest striper on the same thing.

Thanks for sharing your trip!
When I first started fly fishing, I use to hate the woolly. I always went towards using something smaller, as I wanted quantity over quality at the time. Now that I've had a few years in the game, I look for quality over quantity. I started researching and kept reading that the bass go wild over charteuse. So I figured, let's try it.

Now I don't think I'll ever use a different fly..