Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  18
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The Carp Thread

Default Re: The Carp Thread

John,

Great fish! I'm guessing you're using at least an 8 wt or carp that size. Would be fun to try with my 6 wt, but suspect that would be a reach.

2. Default Re: The Carp Thread

I fish a 7 wt Helios 2. The 8 would be appropriate but I fish small flies so the 7 is a little easier to present them with.
    John Montana

Carp on the Fly

Quote Originally Posted by john montana View Post
    I fish a 7 wt Helios 2. The 8 would be appropriate but I fish small flies so the 7 is a little easier to present them with.
    I'm assuming that you use a 7w trout flyline?
    ~Todd
    "...Nympin' ain't Easy"

Chief Thread Starter
    Mother Approved...

4. Default Re: The Carp Thread

Right now I am fishing the orvis carp line. I have used the rio as well. Any standard weight forward fly line seems fine but of it can load in close that is the best. A lot of shots are 30 ft and closer. I have tried the rio grande and a few others but somethig front loaded seems to be te eat for what I do.
    John Montana

Carp on the Fly

Hooked what was easily a 20 pound carp about an hour ago and had him on for 20 mins. Had some guy helping trying to tail him. Had his head out of water and floating several times but there is a steep rocky embankment at the reservoir and its hard to reach fish. Guy tried to tail him but grabbed the line like I told him not to, carp gave one last kick an snapped the line.

It was literally as close as it could have possibly been to caught. If he bobbed up closer on any of the 5 occasions he did than I would have had him. Second time this has happened. The guy felt bad that he grabbed the line and I was really bummed but I didn't blame him, standard protocol with most fish. I was using 4x so I'm sure he wasn't expecting such light line holding such a large fish. Maybe I should have just tried to land him myself.

6. Default Re: The Carp Thread

Quote Originally Posted by dakotakid View Post
    Joni,

Since you have a lot of experience catching carp on flies, any thoughts on whether or not a #10 hook is too small? What size hook do you typically use?

Thanks.
    I think the size I use most is #8 in an Octopus style hook.

Now if I could just get pictures like John, I would be complete...;-)

7. Likes theboz liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by Joni View Post
    I think the size I use most is #8 in an Octopus style hook.

Now if I could just get pictures like John, I would be complete...;-)
    I WOULD RATHER GET FISH LIKE JOHN ! Ill save the pictures for later!
    "I was born to fish" Lee Wulff
    "There's more B.S. in fly fishing then there is in a Kansas feedlot." Lefty Kreh
    " It ain't over till it's over." Yogi Berra
    "Your not old,you've simply acquired a patina." Swirlchaser

9. Likes Joni liked this post
  10. Default Re: The Carp Thread

hello, i live in walnutport pa.. i am close to lehihg countyan northampton county. i am trying to get into fly fishign for carp.

is there anyone close to me that fishes for these wonderful fish? i would like to find areas to do so.. i would also like to get some tipsand tactics.. i am new to the carp scene.

thanks!!

Quote Originally Posted by hookedonthefly View Post
    hello, i live in walnutport pa.. i am close to lehihg countyan northampton county. i am trying to get into fly fishign for carp.

is there anyone close to me that fishes for these wonderful fish? i would like to find areas to do so.. i would also like to get some tipsand tactics.. i am new to the carp scene.

thanks!!
    I'm from Harrisburg but new to the carp scene... Once I get my ducks in a row here, I'll pm ya and vise versa
    ~Todd
    "...Nympin' ain't Easy"

Chief Thread Starter
    Mother Approved...

After reading this thread, I tried the local carp population and found that I could sneak up on them and throw anything I had and they would just eat right past it. Maybe I need to try a little more. Maybe I need to try some flys that look like grass? All I know is there are some that are close to 5 ft long. I can get within 20 ft of them before they decide I am close enough. Huge fish, I just gotta catch one to feel the raw power in the rod! I know where so many are. I must have seen 50 or more one morning,while out fishing with my son. Gotta get back there and try again. Keep the photos and stories coming,they're my motivation. LoL!

13. Likes hailfly liked this post
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast