Carp on Dry Flies

rickf

Reaction score
This one is for you Nick and Joni and John:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IflkFD25nD4]fly fishing - YouTube[/ame]

nick k

Reaction score
I've seen that one actually. It's a very impressive video, and just goes to show you the variation in fishing techniques for carp depending on their location. All shot right by a major road too, although that's where I catch my carp.

I hooked a 20lb carp yesterday on a corn fly. Fought him for 20 mins. Had him head out of water and bobbing several times but just a foot too far from shore and there's a steep rocky embankment at the spot. Had a guy helping me try to tail him since it's hard to do it all yourself with the embankment. Carp finally came up real close, guy grabbed the line like I told him not to (I was using 4x), carp gave one last kick and push, line snapped, and off he went. Heartbreaking.

Last edited:

redloco

Reaction score
That I believe is the Han River in Seoul. the writing on one of the signs in the back ground is Korean, but I am not a hundred percent exactly where....

hailfly

Reaction score

Here in Oklahoma there where over a hundred carp and maybe some catfish, eating these off the top of the lake, by the time I got my boat and returned there were only around a dozen fish or so, trolling batteries dead, very disapointing. My questing is what are these and what would be the fly to use, they look like a brown march ? but they are black. THey are a different color on the south end of the lake I'll but a picture up of those.
Thanks guys, catching a carp on a fly rod is just about all I can think about these days.
K B Toth

---------- Post added at 07:45 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:43 AM ----------

One from the south side of the lake, definitely not the same color as the ones
on the North end of the lake, or am I just wrong ? Sorry I dont have a close up of the ones from the North end.
K B Toth

---------- Post added at 07:47 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:45 AM ----------

Sorry, not trying to hijack the thread.

nick k

Reaction score
Looks like some sort of mayfly or drake, but I don't know too much about bug species. I'm sure someone more knowledgeable will weigh in soon.

theboz

Reaction score
There's a previous thread to this story. The guy was using a bread fly.

http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/general-discussion/218341-what-guy-using.html
Bread flys are deadly! Many lakes and ponds where people feed the ducks with bread have carp and catfish that cleanup the excess.
There used to be a guy on LI who specialized in catching monster carp and WR Bullheads by floating bread on a fine wire hook and ultralite tackle. I had the opportunity to fish several times with his group and did great with a white foam popper while they floated their bread. Very fun way to catch these bottom feeders!