Warmwater Flies

reidsisk

Reaction score
What flies do y'all use? I wanted to put all the "what fly should i use" threads into one. So what flies do you use for bass, bluegill/bream/sunfish, crappie, perch, pike, carp, catfish, etc.?

Bass
Deer Hair Diving Frog. Hook size - 6 to 1/0
Clouser Minnow. Red/White, Chartreuse/White, Sunfish. Hook size - 6 to 1/0
Muddler Minnow. Hook - 8 to 4
Gartside Gurgler. Black, White. Hook - 8 or 6
Poppers. Green, black, yellow, anything with color contrast. Hook - 6 to 4

Bream, Bluegill, Sunfish
Small poppers. Any color, bullet head works best for me. Hook - 8 to 6
Wooly Bugger. Black, White, Olive. Hook - 8 or 6
Clouser. Red/white, Sunfish. 8 or 6

Catfish
Wooly bugger. any color/size.

Feel free to post whatever!

mbchilton

Reaction score
I had really good luck with a black nose dace this week for bluegill. Last night they would come sip my popper without taking, so I put a psycho nymph dropper on and starting hammering them.

My go-to's are woolly buggers and clousers.

MoscaPescador

Reaction score
What flies do y'all use? I wanted to put all the "what fly should i use" threads into one. So what flies do you use for bass, bluegill/bream/sunfish, crappie, perch, pike, carp, catfish, etc.?

Bass
Deer Hair Diving Frog. Hook size - 6 to 1/0
Clouser Minnow. Red/White, Chartreuse/White, Sunfish. Hook size - 6 to 1/0
Muddler Minnow. Hook - 8 to 4
Gartside Gurgler. Black, White. Hook - 8 or 6
Poppers. Green, black, yellow, anything with color contrast. Hook - 6 to 4

Bream, Bluegill, Sunfish
Small poppers. Any color, bullet head works best for me. Hook - 8 to 6
Wooly Bugger. Black, White, Olive. Hook - 8 or 6
Clouser. Red/white, Sunfish. 8 or 6

Catfish
Wooly bugger. any color/size.

Feel free to post whatever!
You could go to many warmwater situations and catch fish with that list. Any other addition is a bonus.

Dennis

nick k

Reaction score
I honestly don't think that Muddler Minnows are great bass flies, at least not in the northeast. I think they work, but almost any streamer pattern will WORK.

Over Muddlers, I would prefer any streamer patterns resembling bream, leeches, or general white minnows.

Additionally, I don't think that pencil poppers or similar poppers are great flies for bream. Floating terrestrials have always worked 10 times better for me, and resemble much more closely their natural prey (beetles, hoppers, spiders, ect.)

To bass, I would also add crayfish, mice, and terrestrials like dragonflies and hoppers.

To bream, I would add wet fly spiders, MM minnows, or briminators.

To catfish, I would add San Juan worms or any other worm flies.

reidsisk

Reaction score
I honestly don't think that Muddler Minnows are great bass flies, at least not in the northeast. I think they work, but almost any streamer pattern will WORK.

Over Muddlers, I would prefer any streamer patterns resembling bream, leeches, or general white minnows.

Additionally, I don't think that pencil poppers or similar poppers are great flies for bream. Floating terrestrials have always worked 10 times better for me, and resemble much more closely their natural prey (beetles, hoppers, spiders, ect.)

To bass, I would also add crayfish, mice, and terrestrials like dragonflies and hoppers.

To bream, I would add wet fly spiders, MM minnows, or briminators.

To catfish, I would add San Juan worms or any other worm flies.
My uncle lives in Ohio and swears by Muddlers. Its about the only thing he uses for bass. I just like the fact that its sub surface, but close to the surface. Bass around here go for it on a cool overcast day.

Ive never tried any San Juan worms for cats. Just trout. I may give that a try. Ive NEVER caught a bass with a mouse, but i have caught them with frogs.. almost identical flies. Weird huh?

I had really good luck with a black nose dace this week for bluegill. Last night they would come sip my popper without taking, so I put a psycho nymph dropper on and starting hammering them.

My go-to's are woolly buggers and clousers.
Awesome! The river near me is packed with sunfish that will attack everything that hits the water. It makes topwater fishing promising and fun.

nick k

Reaction score
Ive never tried any San Juan worms for cats. Just trout. I may give that a try. Ive NEVER caught a bass with a mouse, but i have caught them with frogs.. almost identical flies. Weird huh?
I've actually caught most of my bigger bass on mouse flies. You'd be surprised at how well they work, and they primarily attract the larger bass. Best time to use them is right as the sun starts to go down, around 6-7PM. Throw them into some lily pads or skate them close to the shore.

Here are two of my favorite types. I primarily use the top link. They are very simple to tie. Cut the hair very short on the back end of a rabbit strip and tie it at the hook bend as the tail. Then wrap the full furred part around the shank to make a nice full fluffy body. Tie it off by the hook eye. Then make a foam cutout like the one in the picture. Tie the head in a little bit behind the eye. To secure the rest of the body, I just part the fur, put a thick line of super glue down the foam, then press it down and hold it tight against the fur until it's set. If you are a weed guard guy you can throw one of them on at the beginning.

Bottom fly in this pic

Polks Dirty Rat

mylobass

Reaction score
EP hair bream for bass and landlocked snook and baby tarpon.
Glass Minnow for bass and landlocked snook and baby tarpon.
crayfish for channel cats.
nymphs for blue tilapia.

nick k

Reaction score
Looks like a good one dpenrod. The bluegill around me are very picky. They will eat a bare hook if I present it right (not an exaggeration, they have...). A simple black foam beetle brings them out every cast over here.

reidsisk

Reaction score
I've actually caught most of my bigger bass on mouse flies. You'd be surprised at how well they work, and they primarily attract the larger bass. Best time to use them is right as the sun starts to go down, around 6-7PM. Throw them into some lily pads or skate them close to the shore.

Here are two of my favorite types. I primarily use the top link. They are very simple to tie. Cut the hair very short on the back end of a rabbit strip and tie it at the hook bend as the tail. Then wrap the full furred part around the shank to make a nice full fluffy body. Tie it off by the hook eye. Then make a foam cutout like the one in the picture. Tie the head in a little bit behind the eye. To secure the rest of the body, I just part the fur, put a thick line of super glue down the foam, then press it down and hold it tight against the fur until it's set. If you are a weed guard guy you can throw one of them on at the beginning.

Bottom fly in this pic

Polks Dirty Rat

Ill give those a try! All i have is a deer hair mouse.

Ive always wondered, does popping a big fly scare other fish from feeding? I tend to save my big divers for last so I dont scare the other fish into swimming away.

theboz

Reaction score
Great posts! Just got to read this and the fly choices are really good! But for me Muddler Minnows are deadly on Smallmouths especially in the Delaware River. It's actually one of my go to flys in many situations and it has produced tremendously ! Quite a few Largemouths have fallen to it also especially on hot summer evenings.
Sometimes on the river when swimming the MMs isn't working I fish it dry on a dead drift and the evening Smallies go nuts!

---------- Post added at 03:18 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:16 PM ----------

The only thing is Fallfish like them also!

yonder

Reaction score
I tie up about three dozen black ants and mosquito patterns every spring for my mother...........she enjoys fishing for bluegills on the lakes of the foothills in North Carolina.......and yes........she uses a fly rod, at dang near 70 years old.........she has used an eagle claw fiberglass rod for years......but recently, she has "acquired" a fondness for my TFO finesse 2 weight..........:eek::shocking: maybe I should buy her one for her 70th birthday!!!:)

theboz

Reaction score
I tie up about three dozen black ants and mosquito patterns every spring for my mother...........she enjoys fishing for bluegills on the lakes of the foothills in North Carolina.......and yes........she uses a fly rod, at dang near 70 years old.........she has used an eagle claw fiberglass rod for years......but recently, she has "acquired" a fondness for my TFO finesse 2 weight..........:eek::shocking: maybe I should buy her one for her 70th birthday!!!:)
My kind if Mom!!!

---------- Post added at 08:02 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:01 PM ----------

My kind of Mom!!!
Lucky son!

reidsisk

Reaction score
Wow thats incredible! she must be in awesome shape for her age!

Great posts! Just got to read this and the fly choices are really good! But for me Muddler Minnows are deadly on Smallmouths especially in the Delaware River. It's actually one of my go to flys in many situations and it has produced tremendously ! Quite a few Largemouths have fallen to it also especially on hot summer evenings.
Sometimes on the river when swimming the MMs isn't working I fish it dry on a dead drift and the evening Smallies go nuts!

---------- Post added at 03:18 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:16 PM ----------

The only thing is Fallfish like them also!
I love Muddlers. I lost all of mine though.. I havent tried them on a river yet.. Thats a good idea! I suck at stillwater fishing with subsurface flies.. I cant get my strips down..