I'm falling in love with my spin rod!

rickf

Reaction score
I sent my Helios back for a tip repair, and no word when it will be fixed yet! I'm a little mixed up now ....... so I purchased a UL spin St Croix and some 2 lb NanoFil!

"Long nights abound, no Helios"
"I'm fallin' in love with my spin rod"
"Who I was before, I cannot recall"
"I hope I fall safely to the ground"

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0V7WItOr4O8]Into The Wild "Long Nights" Eddie Vedder Fan Made Video - YouTube[/ame]

Flyfisher for men

Reaction score
I always have two spin rods with me when I'm fishing as well as a full tackle box of conventional tackle. I don't use them much, but there are times when it isn't practical to fly fish e.g. heavy wind or there's too many people around. I've been known to set up the bigger spin rod with a small bluegill, frog, big crawdad for a monster catfish or bass while I use the fly rod.

nick k

Reaction score
And to think, you're out there hooking and getting some tail with another young piece while your old love is all broken up.

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
Here in Alaska I see more people using excessive weight - plastic salmon egg beads - and large indicators with fly rods & reels, line, etc. Whenever I see this type I wish they were using spinning gear.

There is nothing wrong with spinning gear. I started fishing by using a throw line and when I got a Shakespeare bait casting rod and a closed 999 reel I thought I had entered the space age. There are many types of conditions where a spin casting rod and proper lures make a whole lot more sense than piling weight onto flies and leaders in an attempt to get to the correct depth.

When I began fishing the Great Lakes rivers and creeks I had a very brief go with weights and chuck & duck fishing. It was so not like fly casting that the rig lasted but one hour. Since that lesson I learned that not all water is conducive to fly fishing and if I were to go to a place where the only logical way to fish were with a spinning rod and a spinning lure I would gladly use one or abstain from fishing.

Nothing wrong with those rods & reels,

Ard

troutnut4

Reaction score
You are 100% absolutely correct Ard. But if It comes down to having to make a choice.. I would pick Fly Fishing every time. JMHO:D I recently introduced my two grandsons (8 & 5 years old) to spin cast and they are doing well with a couple of lessons. Now all they have to do is catch something before they get discouraged. Much easier that teaching them with a fly rod.:eek:

rickf

Reaction score
I figured you would have dusted off the ol' superfine before you grabbed a UL spinner.
Nick,

I sold my Superfine to a guy on another fly forum. I gave him a super deal and even included a Sage 3100 with WF1F line!

I'm sorry I sold that rod!

My new spin rod won't arrive until this Tuesday ..... so I put my old spin outfit down and got my Sage Fli 5wt ready for this afternoon's event! The white perch have been going crazy after tiny minnows on the surface at twilight.

PS - I love to have a little fun with a lot of different rods? I'm just not a "one rod" guy anymore!

williamhj

Reaction score
You know Orvis sells spinning gear :)

I also started with a spinning rod, well actually started with the $3 bamboo pole and graduated to a spin-cast rod, but fished spinning for years before trying a fly rod. I'd tried doing fly fishing at my in-laws' lake but realized quickly I enjoy fishing really deep with a spinning rod far more than casting sinking lines and heavy flies. I know people do it, but I haven't enjoyed it.

nick k

Reaction score
Yeah, all kidding aside, I use a spinning rod on rare occasions, although exclusively for saltwater now. I live by Boston and there's not a lot of good fly-fishing friendly water in the harbor/bay if you don't have a boat or aren't willing to take a decent ride.

Rip Tide

Reaction score
For the most part, I've been fly rod only since 1968.
Spin fishing is just not enjoyable to me. Sure, you're still out there fishin' but it's a hollow pleasure compared to fly casting.

I started fly fishing in saltwater in the mid 70s
At the time I wasn't aware of anyone else fishing this way and in fact I was told that you couldn't catch saltwater fish on flies and I was wasting my time.
I did it anyway.
I did it because I didn't like using spin and conventional gear and I wasn't about to compromise just because it was logical way to go.
I fish for my own fun and for me that means with a fly rod.... only.

---------- Post added at 05:19 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:43 PM ----------

Here's the thing
If you're going to continue using your spinning gear as a crutch then you might as well give up fly fishing altogether.
You're not going to get any better.
Going back to "old reliable" instead of fly fishing your way through a tough situation won't help you learn how to deal with adverse conditions.

Hide your spin gear in the closet and only fish fly and you'll be far better off.

rickf

Reaction score
It gets the job done but it's not nearly as satisfying :rolleyes:
So very true! I use a $800 fly rod, and used to use a cheapo spin outfit. Not a fair comparison?

I realized this a while ago ....... so I have been upgrading my spin stuff for a more "satisfying" fishing experience.

A Stradic CI4 ML is so light and made for <5lb superlines. I use NanoFil line. The 2lb test has no memory and a diameter of .002! (that's like a 10X tippet) It's so thin, I can cast a bead head fly further than a fly rod ..... and no backcast!

I'm a fly tyier, so I can make some pretty neat jigs or jig heads for the new soft plastics (Gulp Alive has so many tiny baits now ..... and they are really better than live bait)

I love to catch wild trout on dry flies, but 99% of the time I have to fish public water? A spin rod is so much more effective!

I analyze this all the time! I'm perfecting my spin tackle to give me the same thrill that my fly fishing does!

God help me!! Today with the rain, I didn't even take my fly rod in my float tube!! I caught about 25 big Crappie and 25 White Perch with my UL spin and Gulp Alive!

With bass, I can cast poppers, mice, and buggers until my arm hurts and not catch anything ....... but when I toss a Senko with a spin rod, the bass just won't leave it alone!

I have used my fly skills to become a "fish catchin" machine with a UL spin rod!

Maybe I should go to confession? "Forgive me, for I have sinned"!