A few carp

john montana

Reaction score
Got out with my buddy Travis Saturday...the water was dead calm and carp were ultra spooky, but we got a few nice ones!

I got 9 or so, Travis around 5. Biggest fish was 19 lbs and almost all fish ate the hybrid. Been a good fly this year.

Hope everyone is out catching fish!

thechroniclesofmasi

Reaction score
I'm guessing your fishing in Montana?

Looking into carp fishing at the end of the month in finger lakes region NY, if you know any good spots please let me know.

Also just wondering what the Hybrid was? Picture maybe?

john montana

Reaction score
Tough Geoff...high water is rough!

Chronicles, I am in OR...fish mainly the Columbia river. Sorry I can't help!

Hybrid:

john montana

Reaction score
Rule #1 is know your forage...carp can and do eat just about anything, so often it is very specific to your particular body of water. On lake MI, i fish big 2 inch long bunny leeches (they eat gobies) but on my home water they eat mostly clams and nymphs (they dig the clams out and eat the nymphs that try to escape the digging). the hybrid has a worm tail (extended foot of a clam) but looks buggy/nymphy so you can fish to both of their primary forages with one fly.

it might not work at all on your water (though it fishes well on lake mi believe it or not). Totally depends on your forage. i've caught roughly 250-280 carp this year, and probably 70% of them have come on the hybrid.

thechroniclesofmasi

Reaction score
John,

Dude, I was on your blog just the other night and didn't even realize it, enlightening myself with the carp way. Cool stuff. I'm going to be fishing in Lake Ontario, and maybe some finger lakes, Seneca, Cayuga, etc. What would be some good patterns to throw in your opinion?

john montana

Reaction score
Sorry man, I just don't know that area! I would think crayfish and nymphs but don't really know. Sorry!

delopez

Reaction score
I like that idea. I've used a san juan style worm pattern, where I weighted the hook shank and caught one grassy. I've used backstabbers and hooked up (never offically landed). And, I've used legged stonefly nymph patterns and have also hooked up. However, my water is a mudhole... So, it's a bit difficult to fish...

nick k

Reaction score
The carp in the reservoir by me just can't resist corn flies....except when I splash it in their face and scare the hell out of them.

rickf

Reaction score
John,

Wonderful reports and pix! The lower Susquehanna is packed with carp, but I have only been fishing for crappie and 'gills in lakes with a tiny rod?

Next week for sure! I've already got my 8wt all set to go ........ I'll post a report when I do.

delopez

Reaction score
John,

Do you fish clear water, where you can visually see the carp, or tannic stained water, where it's almost impossible to see three feet in the water? I'm just curious because my water might as well be pitch black.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

john montana

Reaction score
I fish clear water for the most part. The Columbia is a great river. Fishing in colored water can be tough...usually I just stare until I can see a fin! Hah...some guys I know use indicators.

hailfly

Reaction score
Can you buy the Hybrid fly somewhere or do you have to tie it ? Thanks, a ton of carp around me but I cant get them to take anything yet, I'm new so hope to figure it out soon.
K B Toth

john montana

Reaction score
Catch fly fishing is tying the Hybrid commercially...should be available for sale at some online shops soon. Likely Carp Pro or In the Riffle will have 'em.

It worked well yesterday!