Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  9
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: A few carp

1. Default A few carp

Got out with my buddy Travis Saturday...the water was dead calm and carp were ultra spooky, but we got a few nice ones!

I got 9 or so, Travis around 5. Biggest fish was 19 lbs and almost all fish ate the hybrid. Been a good fly this year.

Hope everyone is out catching fish!
    John Montana

Carp on the Fly

Default Re: A few carp

Nice, my carp year has been poooooor so far ( as in caught 1 ). The rain has really been messing it up.
    "When you do things right, people wont be sure you've done anything at all."

Storm Drain Bonefisher

Arrow Re: A few carp

I'm guessing your fishing in Montana?

Looking into carp fishing at the end of the month in finger lakes region NY, if you know any good spots please let me know.

Also just wondering what the Hybrid was? Picture maybe?
    "Snook are like females, you can throw your lure at them all day and they won't bite!" Graham

4. Default Re: A few carp

Tough Geoff...high water is rough!

Chronicles, I am in OR...fish mainly the Columbia river. Sorry I can't help!

Hybrid:

John Montana

Carp on the Fly

5. Likes mcnerney, hailfly liked this post

Wow, that is different than any other carp fly that I have seen in my research. Do carp eat lots of insects?

Thanks for the pic.
    "Snook are like females, you can throw your lure at them all day and they won't bite!" Graham

7. Default Re: A few carp

Rule #1 is know your forage...carp can and do eat just about anything, so often it is very specific to your particular body of water. On lake MI, i fish big 2 inch long bunny leeches (they eat gobies) but on my home water they eat mostly clams and nymphs (they dig the clams out and eat the nymphs that try to escape the digging). the hybrid has a worm tail (extended foot of a clam) but looks buggy/nymphy so you can fish to both of their primary forages with one fly.

it might not work at all on your water (though it fishes well on lake mi believe it or not). Totally depends on your forage. i've caught roughly 250-280 carp this year, and probably 70% of them have come on the hybrid.
    John Montana

Carp on the Fly

John,

Dude, I was on your blog just the other night and didn't even realize it, enlightening myself with the carp way. Cool stuff. I'm going to be fishing in Lake Ontario, and maybe some finger lakes, Seneca, Cayuga, etc. What would be some good patterns to throw in your opinion?

9. Default Re: A few carp

Sorry man, I just don't know that area! I would think crayfish and nymphs but don't really know. Sorry!
    John Montana

Carp on the Fly

I like that idea. I've used a san juan style worm pattern, where I weighted the hook shank and caught one grassy. I've used backstabbers and hooked up (never offically landed). And, I've used legged stonefly nymph patterns and have also hooked up. However, my water is a mudhole... So, it's a bit difficult to fish...

The carp in the reservoir by me just can't resist corn flies....except when I splash it in their face and scare the hell out of them.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast