Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Dry/Dropper for panfish?

Default Re: Dry/Dropper for panfish?

Just getting started in fly's myself but so far the local bluegill seem to hit on just about anything I toss out (even if it's too big for them to get ahold of). Caught the most on smaller fly's, didn't seem to matter whether dry or sinking. Had the most luck on black foam spiders with long white legs.

I personally think that poppers are a pretty ineffective way of fishing for panfish. Yes, you can and will catch a lot of fish with them, but you will catch a lot of panfish on just about any fly. IMO, if you are going to use a floating fly for panfish, terrestrials work best.

I mainly use a simple #10 or #12 black foam beetle and it catches a fish every single cast. Other ant, hopper, or spider patterns will do the same.

turbineblade Guest

Some of the folks will tell you that subsurface flies catch the bigger of the panfish than surface flies will, but I don't know if that's always true.

To me, small panfish poppers work almost identically to terrestrials of similar size -- in fact, I'm certain that some fish think poppers probably are some terrestrial bug species. How could they not?

all good answers. i like small poppers 8 or 10 with a nymph under them pt or hares ear.but stimulators and madam x work well too. also this time of year terrestrial can be real good. beatles hoppers crickets etc. and a soft hackle underneath gives a little more motion which can be good. small brassies or zebra midges can be good too on the rare times when the get selective.

Quote Originally Posted by turbineblade View Post
    Some of the folks will tell you that subsurface flies catch the bigger of the panfish than surface flies will, but I don't know if that's always true.

To me, small panfish poppers work almost identically to terrestrials of similar size -- in fact, I'm certain that some fish think poppers probably are some terrestrial bug species. How could they not?
    That's my point though. If fish are really looking for terrestrials, and you are trowing poppers to imitate terrestrials, you will be much better off throwing actual terrestrials that much more closely resemble the prey you are trying to imitate.

I have heard the same thing about subsurface flies, and I actually believe it to be somewhat true. In general, bream are primarily subsurface feeders and receive most of their prey from this are in the water column. They do of course eat tons of stuff on the surface, but I image that a big, skeptical bluegill would be more easily fooled by something he is more commonly eating.

6. Likes N/A liked this post

In my honest opinion, when I read the title to the post, I thought, "man this guy is over thinking this." To me a dry/dropper rig seems a bit overkill just to catch some bluegill. But since you asked, I don't see why a small hopper or cricket, with any nymph as a dropper wouldn't work. Just don't see if having a huge advantage over just using a single fly.

8. Default Re: Dry/Dropper for panfish?

foam grasshopper size 6, rubber leg bead head nymph size 12

Thanks to all for the responses. And yes I do tend to over think stuff. Guess it's the engineer in me. In all of my thought chaos, an occasional gem will be discovered. My wife often says that I require a lot of patience.
    Mike

I often use a dry/dropper when fishing for bluegill. I figure it increases my chances by offering them two tasty meal options instead of just one.

My go-to setup is a size 10 foam hopper with rubber legs, and any kind of nymph underneath. Copper Johns with small rubber legs are always a winner under a hopper.

-VB

turbineblade Guest

That's my point though. If fish are really looking for terrestrials, and you are trowing poppers to imitate terrestrials, you will be much better off throwing actual terrestrials that much more closely resemble the prey you are trying to imitate.
    No, that's what I'm saying -- if you need to throw terrestrials, throw a popper because it probably imitates them . LOL.

No, I get where you're coming from. To me though, a piece of foam with krystal flash "legs" or pieces of round rubber doesn't do any better than a popper does to copy a beetle or something.

To me, nearly every fly pattern is "suggestive" more than anything else. Just look at the Chernobyl ant --

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12