Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  33
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: What is your one fish

Default Re: What is your one fish

Im not picky if it swims & will bite its my one fish. Other than that Gills hands down
    Dennis
    fish more fish more often,If the hats missn I'm fishn

Wow, that's a tough one. For me it's a toss up between Bluegills and Smallies. I have more rods for smallmouth then gills.

Craig
    "Never, never, never give up" Winston Churchill

Atlantics even though I have yet to catch one. If I had to go by something I have caught it would have to be Native Brookies on light gear.
    John L.

"The finest gift you can give to any fisherman is to put a good fish back, and who knows if the fish that you caught isn't someone else's gift to you?" Lee Wulff

“Be patient and calm – for no one can catch fish in anger.” – Herbert Hoover

Steelhead. I know this is the warm water sub forum; but, if I could only catch one fish the rest of my life, it would have to be steelhead.

Cheers,
    Mike.

---------- Post added at 08:13 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:10 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by brookfieldangler View Post

While the fish is fun once it's hooked, it's everything else that fishing for reds entails. Flats, flat boats, visually spotting a target, long casts to a small window, and quite often a visual take. On top of that, let's not forget the amazing variety of coastal wildlife one typically sees while fishing for them.
    Great reasoning on that and, really, it's why I fly fish. The quarry is key, but the chase and everything associated with it is what makes it so special.

Great post.

Cheers,
    Mike.

This is a tough one for me. I cut my teeth on fly fishing with warm water so bass both large and small are very special to me. If I had to pick from those two it would be the smallie for no other reason than it is impossible to catch one and not feel like a total child again. I know the fountain of youth is filled with smallies. I like everything about them. I like the environment they are found in. I like the fun you can have with the flies, tying everything from quirky and goofy patterns to exquisite deer hair patterns. Most of all I like the idea that one or two flies, a rod and reel and an old pair or tennis shoes is all you need.

Salt is harder yet. I started on the reds and specks a long time ago but since my relocation to the Northeast, I am learning why people are so in love with the striper that you see tons of tattoos of them. They get under your skin in a way that a red can't. Maybe it's because they are so darn elusive and you can spend hours upon hours chasing the tides just to find them. I am beginning to think they are about the best thing going. Well that is until I find an albie or two.

6. Likes swirlchaser liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by grouch View Post
    This is a tough one for me. I cut my teeth on fly fishing with warm water so bass both large and small are very special to me. If I had to pick from those two it would be the smallie for no other reason than it is impossible to catch one and not feel like a total child again. I know the fountain of youth is filled with smallies. I like everything about them. I like the environment they are found in. I like the fun you can have with the flies, tying everything from quirky and goofy patterns to exquisite deer hair patterns. Most of all I like the idea that one or two flies, a rod and reel and an old pair or tennis shoes is all you need.

Salt is harder yet. I started on the reds and specks a long time ago but since my relocation to the Northeast, I am learning why people are so in love with the striper that you see tons of tattoos of them. They get under your skin in a way that a red can't. Maybe it's because they are so darn elusive and you can spend hours upon hours chasing the tides just to find them. I am beginning to think they are about the best thing going. Well that is until I find an albie or two.
    Stripers are also very dear to me and represent most of my saltwater flyfishing but wait until you hear your reel singing the song of an Albie
    The best way to a fisherman's heart is through his fly.

Blog Entries

misread the op........gotta go gills in warm water, dolly varden in cold.

ARFE

Coldwater = rainbows, especially if that includes steelhead. I'm always amazed by how much fight even a 12" rainbow can provide! Of course, I say this without ever having tangled with a salmon on a fly or anything like arctic char, bull trout, etc, so that could change things...

Warmwater = probably a tie between smallies and northern pike... love the way they attack flies, and the fact that they are active around here in times of the year when trout streams get too low/warm and the migratory fish are out in the Lake Superior.

ryan

Quote Originally Posted by smarty140 View Post
    Coldwater = rainbows, especially if that includes steelhead. I'm always amazed by how much fight even a 12" rainbow can provide! Of course, I say this without ever having tangled with a salmon on a fly or anything like arctic char, bull trout, etc, so that could change things...

Warmwater = probably a tie between smallies and northern pike... love the way they attack flies, and the fact that they are active around here in times of the year when trout streams get too low/warm and the migratory fish are out in the Lake Superior.

ryan
    Pike are a cool-cold water indicator species. I'm just sayin' is all

King Joe Outa Here!

Seeing as I have only caught ONE, that's right just one fish on a fly rod, I'll have to go with the blue gill. Until I catch another species, that's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast