Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  33
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: What is your one fish

Default Re: What is your one fish

As I'm still getting started with fly's and mostly limited to hitting a few nearby lakes and rivers, I've mainly caught bluegill, a few small LMB's and one or two Smallies but the other night I hooked into a couple warmouth's on a chartreuse micro-popper. Wow! Those things were both only around 9-10" but both hit the fly like a freight train then took off fast enough I actually had to put the reel into use to pull them back in, both fighting like crazy the entire way. I was shocked at how small they were when I got them back as both fought harder than the 14-16" LMB's that had previously given me the most action. Starting to think those might be the "one" fish I'm enjoying catching the most.

Quote Originally Posted by fishers_fisherman View Post
    As I'm still getting started with fly's and mostly limited to hitting a few nearby lakes and rivers, I've mainly caught bluegill, a few small LMB's and one or two Smallies but the other night I hooked into a couple warmouth's on a chartreuse micro-popper. Wow! Those things were both only around 9-10" but both hit the fly like a freight train then took off fast enough I actually had to put the reel into use to pull them back in, both fighting like crazy the entire way. I was shocked at how small they were when I got them back as both fought harder than the 14-16" LMB's that had previously given me the most action. Starting to think those might be the "one" fish I'm enjoying catching the most.
    Wait till you get some fat pumpkinseeds on the line.

Quote Originally Posted by nick k View Post
    Wait till you get some fat pumpkinseeds on the line.
    Big fan of those guys too!

I'd have to go with Smallmouth.
    They're a blast for topwater, and they are what got me 'hooked' on fly fishing.
    It's not just the fish though, it's where we go to catch them.
    Here's our campsite from our June Fathers Day weekend trip. Not another soul on the lake but us. (do bears count?)

5. Likes Ard, fishindave liked this post

I was honestly surprised at the variety of answers here. I thought the choice would be clear.

Bluegill are cute, voracious little buggers.
    Bucketmouths will eat the biggest thing in your fly box, including the bluegill you just caught.
    Bones and Barracuda will run like crazy. (wear lotsa sunscreen)
    Rainbows will sip quietly and give it their all.
    Brownies will test your hook-set with their bulldog head-shakes.
    Carp will be surprisingly finicky and then show off their power.
    Kings will tire your arm with their muscle and reckless abandon.
    Smallies hit like a truck, never get tired, and win the pound-for-pound belt.

But I would give them all up for steelhead. The answer, my friends, is steelhead.

Edit: I just noticed this is in the warm water forum. My bad, I guess that explains the lack of steelhead on the list. In that case, the answer is smallies.

For me, TROUT what else, especially on a short 2 wt.
    "Be yourself; everyone else is already taken" - Oscar Wilde

Blog Entries

Rainbow / Steelhead Trout, big ones (if I had a choice) because there is never a dull moment while you search for them and especially after you hook one.

Rainbow are the only trout where I live and they are almost all migratory. There are some who go to sea and some who winter over in the large estuaries. They are harder to handle than any of the salmon species. Granted a really big king will test your ability to control a heavy fish as will a lively Silver, but rainbows almost always go berserk.

Another benefit of the trout is that you don't catch so many to give you joint and wrist pain. That is not the case when you get into large numbers of salmon...........

Trout

Anywhere can be the land of great expectations, broken dreams, or paradise found, it's all up to you.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard
    Ard's Forum blog, Alaska Outdoors

I would have to say......the Rainbow Trout.......for the acrobatic flips and absolute beauty....... I never tire of rainbow trout on the dry fly......

However......I have heard that false albacores....or fat alberts.....are like hooking a vw bus going down the interstate!!!! This is a bucket list fish......lots of them off the coast of North Carolina!!!
    yonder

Here I walk slowly, deliberately, taking it one step, one trout, one sunset at a time. -Harry Middleton

10. Likes Ard liked this post
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by quijibo View Post
    I'd have to go with Smallmouth.
    They're a blast for topwater, and they are what got me 'hooked' on fly fishing.
    It's not just the fish though, it's where we go to catch them.
    Here's our campsite from our June Fathers Day weekend trip. Not another soul on the lake but us. (do bears count?)

Just spotted this, Welcome to the forum and.......What a perfect spot you had there!

Ard

Anywhere can be the land of great expectations, broken dreams, or paradise found, it's all up to you.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard
    Ard's Forum blog, Alaska Outdoors

12. Likes quijibo liked this post
    Blog Entries

Hands down, BROWNS! Especially from spring creeks. Nothing like them. Wary, finicky, spooky, nervous, and dang tough to fool most of the time.

Here are a few that were fooled:

Kelly.
    I fish, therefore I am - but I gotta go to work first..."piscari ergo sum"

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast