Snakeheads on the fly?

fq13

Reaction score
Anybody tried this? They are an invasive species down here in South Florida (hell, there are so many of those all of us natives are about ready to move out {anybody want a free iguana?}), but these are nasty. They are an eel like fish that can breath on land, reproduces rapidly and can grow to about three feet. They'll hit spinner baits and topwaters, but I haven't spent any time flyfishing for them. I'm going to visit my dad in the glades next week and I have a half day pit stop planned for the Miami canals for them and Peacock bass if the weather permits. Anyone have any advise? I'm going to use a 6wt and clousers for the peacocks, but I figured I might want to gear heavier for the snakeheads.

Last edited:

delopez

Reaction score
There seems to be some information on YouTube about it... Might check out those videos and see what they're using.

sandfly

Reaction score
they will hit any thing that looks like a baitfish. they are in the Delaware river now. suppose to be good eating. great fighters on plug or fly.

T

turbineblade

I got a decent one in May, but repeated casting to many, many others has resulted in nada. They're very common in this region and highly sought after by the fly fishing community here.

They'll hit the same flies LMB will hit, but IME (and in agreement with most of the fishermen here) they spook fairly easily and tend to be "on or off" with hitting flies. The one I caught was probably a result of being in the right place when one was hungry more than anything else. :)

fq13

Reaction score
I don't say this about many fish but kill every darn one you catch.
+1 to that. Some jack@ss introduced him here about 7 years ago so he could sell them in Asian fish markets (they are tasty, I ate some a friend caught) and now they've spread to three counties and are completely out competing (and eating) the native large mouths. I generally am not in favor of killing anything I don't intend to eat, but in this case I'll make an exception. Sad thing is they will survive on land so apparently you need a fish priest to do the job.

theboz

Reaction score
The guide I fish for Peacocks with in Miami targets Snakeheads as well . He uses 6 to 8 wt rods and the same Clousers he uses for Peacocks. the C4 seems to have an abundance of them.

itchmesir

Reaction score
Would love the chance to catch one of these on the fly... Would like to see how they compare to bowfin... A similar looking fish that's known to be very aggressive

T

turbineblade

It is not a legal requirement to kill a caught snakehead in this region, but it is illegal to "possess one alive".

This means you can choose to release one you've caught. I've asked VDIF, and even though it sounds weird -- it's true.

I chose to decapitate the one I caught in accordance with VDIF's wishes for VA anglers. I'll do the same for any others I (hopefully) catch. They're fun on a fly.

C

catchemall

It is not a legal requirement to kill a caught snakehead in this region, but it is illegal to "possess one alive".

This means you can choose to release one you've caught. I've asked VDIF, and even though it sounds weird -- it's true.

I chose to decapitate the one I caught in accordance with VDIF's wishes for VA anglers. I'll do the same for any others I (hopefully) catch. They're fun on a fly.
Its a legal requirement to kill them in MD

bigjim5589

Reaction score
Yep, MD wants them dead! It's also illegal to transport a live one here. The idea is they don't want them spreading, but that's happening anyway. I've read some reports that folks have seen them in some of the tidal creeks of the lower Potomac. That part of the Potomac has a higher salinity than further up river where most are seen or caught. It was said that they don't tolerate salt, but it's rumored that Snakeheads are moving with the influx of freshwater from storms. Don't know, but it appears they're spreading in MD.

I know of one guide who fishes the Potomac ( Capt Mike Starrett, Indianhead Charters) and targets them with both flies & other tackle when he can. This means when the opportunity presents itself, usually while fishing for LM bass.

Initially, the media & others reported that they were voracious eaters, and ate anything they could catch! Pets & small children sort of thing. Apparently, that's not entirely true. As others have said here, they can be hard to catch.

IMO, they may be like carp in the regard that they've adapted to the new environment & have become quite selective about their feeding habits & shy about hitting artificials!

Sounds like an ideal fly rod fish to me! :rolleyes:

T

turbineblade

Yep,
No it isn't -- though a LOT of people mistakenly think that this is true.

Northern Snakehead | Maryland Department of Natural Resources Fisheries Service

Specifically the regulations here -- Northern Snakehead | Maryland Department of Natural Resources Fisheries Service

It is not a legal requirement to kill them -- they simply ask you to kill them. If you catch one and choose to release it, you've broken no law....though there is no good reason to do so and I fully believe they should be immediately killed upon capture.

Obviously anyone with even a slight amount of concern would proceed with their wishes and kill these fish --

95chevy

Reaction score
I went to MD for a vacation and the guys in the tackle shop were telling me about them (during a conversation about fly fishing) they said that if you don't kill them you'd be doing a disservice to the river. I was fishing in the ocean so of coarse I didn't get any but thats what they said.

theboz

Reaction score
Kill them yes but the solution to the problem probably not! History of this invasive fish is not good! Electroshockimg , netting , hihook tournaments and even poisoning and they still survive where they have been introduced . The answer is to prevent at all costs their introduction in the first place. I'm worried about the Bass in the Potomac and even more personally the Peacock Bass in the Miami Canals which I so enjoy fishing for every year. Even though the Peacocks are not native they have thrived in the canals without hurting the Largemouth populations. But now specific parts of the canal system which once held Peacocks as well as Largemouths are being threatened to the point where the main catch is Snakeheads !
Kill them yes but make the a..holes who introduce them pay dearly , their the ones that mess it up for everyone!!

tfrank

Reaction score
Hi everybody. My first post. I live right near some of the snakehead areas. Haven't caught any. Just got interested in them in the last couple weeks. I've done a little scouting and thrown a few flies at them with a few witnessed refusals and a couple misses.

At this point they don't seem to be affecting the LMB populations from what I can see. I grew up on the Mattowoman, Nanjemoy area of the Potomac. I haven't fished LMB in over 20 years but the populations look healthier now than then to me. The ones I've caught the last few days were fat and sassy and no shortage of 4"-6" swimming freely in several areas with large snakeheads around. The snakeheads to me seem to use the water completely different than LMB. In other words fishing for them like bass will yield you the results I have been getting, bass and no snakeheads. The snakeheads I've been seeing are hanging in shallower water up in the hydrilla and right against the banks. The bass hang on the edge of hydrilla and at the drop off to the channel. Talking to one of our local fisheries biologists today they've observed the same thing.

The other thing that seems to be getting missed is that LMB are an invasive in the Potomac. Or are they non native because they have been here longer and are accepted? At ten years in its difficult to say what will happen long term. But they are here to stay.

bigjim5589

Reaction score
Now, I'm not sure about the regulation requiring killing of them. I found this:
DNR Asks Anglers To Catch And Kill Snakehead Fish - Maryland Department of Natural Resources - Communications Office

But cannot find any regulation backing this up. It may be in the State Annotated Code somewhere, but I cannot find it on the DNR website.

However, it is illegal to possess a live Snakehead in MD, (& VA apparently) so technically, once you catch one, you have to kill it to maintain possession. (Possession, can be interpreted differently by Law Enforcement, so when in doubt, kill it!) Releasing it is an option, but as has been said, not the best one since it's an invasive species.

There are no regulations concerning seasons, catch limits or possession limits of dead Snakeheads in MD.

T

turbineblade

Maryland is nebulous -- but if it isn't listed in the MD fishing regulations, I don't see how they could possibly enforce anything. A separate webpage saying that "anglers are required" to kill them means nothing...but I agree it is somewhat contradictory and confusing versus the fishing regs themselves.

I just called MDNR to confirm, but my understanding is that there isn't anything regulatory requiring anyone to kill them.

bigjim5589

Reaction score
Turbineblade, you're right about that! MD is MD! This reminds me of all the misinformation versus regulations concerning Striped Bass. After the moratorium years they reopened seasons & applied special regulations to specific areas & dates. They made suggestions about proper gear usage, but did not implement regulations at that time. There was a lot of misunderstanding & misinformation spread around. They did eventually clarify most of it, but there are still uncertainties about it at times.

With Striped Bass, even bringing an incidental, illegal fish into a boat or on to shore can be construed & defined as possession. It's happened with some over zealous NRP officers. The idea is that they want those fish released as quickly as possible, and when possible by leaving them in the water. Many of us who fly fish do this as habit, but not all anglers do so. Taking a quick photo of an illegal fish could even get an angler in trouble, because it's not considered by some as immediate release.

I had read that some similar problems arose in FL, with incidental, out of season catches. The DNR officers there were citing anglers if they removed a fish from the water, interpreting that they had reduced the fish to possession, even if it was released immediately. I recall this also had something to do with taking photo's & the amount of time it took.

Regulations are, unfortunately, always subject to interpretation. Sometimes, even intent of laws & regulations are left to interpretations that may not really follow the true intent, or it may be in this case, the regulations may not even exist at all.

zum

Reaction score
That's just crazy...(above post)
Lets say a legal fish is 27"s,you catch one that's 25/26"s,how can you measure it to find out its legal without handling it?
Common sense,guess isn't so common.