Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  5
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Just reads

Default Re: Just reads

Quote Originally Posted by Rip Tide View Post
    I like this book for smallmouth..............and I have this one too.

Looked at both on Amazon, very good reviews. $38 versus $12. Is the first one worth that much more
    Tight fisted Scotsman
    Eddie
    "We look to Scotland for all our ideas of civilisation."
    Voltaire

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie O'Neill View Post
    Looked at both on Amazon, very good reviews. $38 versus $12. Is the first one worth that much more
    Tight fisted Scotsman
    The Harry Murry book came out in 1989 so it might appear dated to some people. I'm not sure that the fish would agree
    The Will Ryan book is more in depth in my opinion.
    Bob Clouser wrote a book on smallmouth fishing as well, but I haven't read that one.
    The simpler the outfit, the more skill it takes to manage it, and the more pleasure one gets in his achievements. --- Horace Kephart

3. Likes Eddie O'Neill liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by zum View Post
    Thanks for all the replies.
    New to tapatalk and I haven't found the editing function yet.
    I'll try to find the books in town...I have to travel out of town for the other,wife won't let me watch movies)
    Im pretty sure that if you tap and hold your comment it will allow you to edit in tapatalk. It does on my iphone atleast.

Bob Clouser used to fly fish smallmouth in the very same waters I fish! I would see him all the time, usually guiding.

The lower Susquehanna, just upstream of Harrisburg used to be a smallmouth paradise! I purchased his book and almost every pic is a spot that I have fished!

The bass are gone now, but there are lots of carp in the same spots. Good with a fly rod in that shallow water.

I like to read a lot, and I mostly like to read surf stripers with a fly rod....... but as Nick pointed out, I really like to go after "strippers" rather than "stripers"

I can recommend Black Bass & the Fly Rod by Charles Waterman.

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Black-Bass-Fly-Charles-Waterman/dp/0811716309"]Black Bass & the Fly Rod: Charles F. Waterman: 9780811716307: Amazon.com: Books@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51gJgW-X48L.@@AMEPARAM@@51gJgW-X48L[/ame]

Lots of practical stuff intermixed with some great story telling and anecdotes. Nothing about strippers, though, neither largemouth nor smallmouth.
    1/2

======================================
    Jesus said, "Go fishing!" (Luke 5:4). He said nothing about monthly reports, budgets, cost variances, manpower planning, or orders forecasts.

Quote Originally Posted by half fast View Post
    Nothing about strippers, though, neither largemouth nor smallmouth.
    It's hard to find small mouth strippers. Natural selection I would think.....

Quote Originally Posted by nick k View Post
    It's hard to find small mouth strippers. Natural selection I would think.....
    Could be. I guess I always assumed they were a northern variety, since we don't seem to have them here in Florida...
    1/2

======================================
    Jesus said, "Go fishing!" (Luke 5:4). He said nothing about monthly reports, budgets, cost variances, manpower planning, or orders forecasts.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12