Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  26
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 42
  1. #11

    Default Re: Give carp a try!

    I really liked the video, i thought that the editing was good

    although it may have been a tad bit over dramatic for fishing carp in a retention pond...?

    not sure

  2. #12

    Default Re: Give carp a try!

    Quote Originally Posted by buddhist_palm View Post

    although it may have been a tad bit over dramatic for fishing carp in a retention pond...?

    not sure
    And therein lies my only real gripe about Ms. Block.

    If you have ever read any of her stuff, be it in print or online, there is no questioning her talent as a writer. However, I personally find it too deep for something so simple or ordinary. While there is definitely an audience that can appreciate a life lesson or deep meaning in everything that they do, I am not one of them.
    Less likey, more green dots
    BrookFieldAngler.com

  3. #13

    Default Re: Give carp a try!

    Quote Originally Posted by rickf View Post
    Neat video!

    They copied the start from the award winning "Once in a Blue Moon" . The coffee pot and the smoke in the chimney?
    The video with the mouse fly pattern? Even my 2.5 years old daughter found it very interesting.

    ---------- Post added at 11:22 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:02 AM ----------

    I had accidentally caught a large one before but never actually fished for them. I saw a couple of carps when I was out for bass in the summer. They were about 10-15FT away from me. I did try to get them to bite my crawdad flies, but they just followed it and turned. Then, there was a guy close by who gave me some instructions on how to catch them but I couldn't really understand what he was talking about. Something to do with marshmallow, corn, and seed rig, etc. I was actually glad that the carp swam away so he could actually stop and we could fish our separate ways.

    Now, since we are in the topic and since that I am seeing more carps in my home water; I'd be interested in actually trying to fish them. Any proven tips on how to catch them? I am planning to use the 6wt.
    I am highly qualified to comment in this forum after receiving a Specialized High Intensive Training (S.H.I.T) at the Olde Schitt Institute of Technology (O.S.H.I.T).

  4. #14
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    South Eastern Pennsylvania
    Posts
    233

    Default Re: Give carp a try!

    Quote Originally Posted by runningfish View Post
    Now, since we are in the topic and since that I am seeing more carps in my home water; I'd be interested in actually trying to fish them. Any proven tips on how to catch them? I am planning to use the 6wt.
    I've not targeted them very often and I'm pretty bad at them, but one that has nearly aways worked is tying up a purple deer hair mulberry pattern. Find a mulberry tree that overhangs the water and cast your "berry" there when the real fruit is dropping. "Match the hatch" sort of. Something about those berries makes carp about as dumb as a brick and only a fraction as wary as usual.

    Other than that, I've tried for them when I spot them while smallie fishing and found that small streamers with black maribou fished slow and on or near the bottom seem to attract them. I also drop the fly in some distance away and bring it past them. They don't react well to things dropping right near them (except those "berries").

  5. Likes runningfish liked this post
  6. #15

    Default Re: Give carp a try!

    Quote Originally Posted by pa dave View Post
    I've not targeted them very often and I'm pretty bad at them, but one that has nearly aways worked is tying up a purple deer hair mulberry pattern. Find a mulberry tree that overhangs the water and cast your "berry" there when the real fruit is dropping. "Match the hatch" sort of. Something about those berries makes carp about as dumb as a brick and only a fraction as wary as usual.

    Other than that, I've tried for them when I spot them while smallie fishing and found that small streamers with black maribou fished slow and on or near the bottom seem to attract them. I also drop the fly in some distance away and bring it past them. They don't react well to things dropping right near them (except those "berries").
    Thank you for your input, I found this video on youtube and it looks easy enough for me to tie them. [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WkNrlbNO6XE]Fly Tying: Foam Mulberry - YouTube[/ame]
    Gotta make some incase I see them swimming around me again.
    I am highly qualified to comment in this forum after receiving a Specialized High Intensive Training (S.H.I.T) at the Olde Schitt Institute of Technology (O.S.H.I.T).

  7. Likes pa dave, hailfly liked this post
  8. #16
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    South Eastern Pennsylvania
    Posts
    233

    Default Re: Give carp a try!

    That looks a lot better and easier than my deer hair berries! I'm giving that on a go, too.

  9. #17

    Default Re: Give carp a try!

    Quote Originally Posted by pa dave View Post
    That looks a lot better and easier than my deer hair berries! I'm giving that on a go, too.
    I tried it, but it didn't come up as good as that one, but it was very easy. I also made one with purple Cactus Chenile.
    I am highly qualified to comment in this forum after receiving a Specialized High Intensive Training (S.H.I.T) at the Olde Schitt Institute of Technology (O.S.H.I.T).

  10. #18
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    South Eastern Pennsylvania
    Posts
    233

    Default Re: Give carp a try!

    Quote Originally Posted by runningfish View Post
    I tried it, but it didn't come up as good as that one, but it was very easy. I also made one with purple Cactus Chenile.
    The chenile may be better anyway. The real berries float very low in the water and the deer hair tends to ride too high. I'm thinking the foam would too.

  11. Default Re: Give carp a try!

    Seems like Mr. Zimmerman is living the good life for being a "semi-retarded". Carp fishing seems to be unappreciated here in the USA. According to trade figures it has the highest number of fishermen in the world. So I guess there are quite a few semi-retarded in the world.

  12. #20

    Default Re: Give carp a try!

    Whoa!

    Who said carp fishing is retarded?

    Not that I condone it but I believe he said the gentleman in the video was the tard...

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 7
    Last Post: 10-09-2012, 08:51 AM
  2. Finally got my carp. Yes another Carp thread.Pic Heavy.
    By mbphotos54 in forum Warmwater Fly Fishing
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 05-14-2012, 08:36 PM
  3. might give it up
    By Rifleman1776 in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 39
    Last Post: 10-03-2010, 05:25 PM
  4. Carp Flies for Mass Carp?
    By Wado13Mexico in forum Warmwater Fly Fishing
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 07-30-2009, 03:05 PM
  5. Going to give it a try....
    By tippet in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 12-03-2007, 10:55 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •