Cedar river

delopez

Reaction score
Hey you Iowans,

How's the cedar river in the spring and early summer? Pike small mouth and walleye are what I'm after. I'll be putting in around cedar Iowa.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

craigthor

Reaction score
Early spring if you are in the Cedar Rapids area check out the mouth where indian creek drops into the cedar, also where prairie creek drops in to the cedar as well.

Indian Creek - Park at the nature center and walk down. depending on water levels you can find everything down there

Prairie Creek - Park at the softball/ baseball fields off of C St by the coal plant and walk the trail over and then down.

ia_trouter

Reaction score
Should be 8 foot out of it's banks in spring, then dry by early summer. :)

Seriously though, lets hit it early spring and chase some pike. I can bring the boat and we'll dodge the trees as they fly by about 40mph.

delopez

Reaction score
Considering that I have the abyss close to my house (the Missouri river)... I know there are pike in there, but they're few and far between...

ia_trouter

Reaction score
I'm game for that.

We'll have to stay on top of water temps and levels. Pike fishing is not what I would consider fast in most Iowa water, most of the year. Shortly after ice out they can get hot in the sloughs, creeks, and tribs etc. Short window most years as the high waters make the better water dangerous to fish.

Mississippi has some decent pike water too but it is north of Pool 14 where I live.

delopez

Reaction score
I would think slow and deep (no pun intended), would be the way to go year round if pike fishing was slow. Anyway, what about the Iowa river, winnebago, wapsi, shell rock, and other rivers in that area? I know there is a warm water outlet in Mason city that is usually hot with pike, and musky.

---------- Post added at 08:46 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:46 AM ----------

In fact, it's usually thawed out year-round.

ia_trouter

Reaction score
I would think slow and deep (no pun intended), would be the way to go year round if pike fishing was slow. Anyway, what about the Iowa river, winnebago, wapsi, shell rock, and other rivers in that area? I know there is a warm water outlet in Mason city that is usually hot with pike, and musky.

---------- Post added at 08:46 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:46 AM ----------

In fact, it's usually thawed out year-round.
Wapsi can be good pike water around here in spring. I am not familiar with the Mason City area water but yes they have a good rep. Most of these rivers are not very deep. The pike congregate in the sloughs, creeks etc. to spawn in early spring. Tailwaters on the Mississippi dams can produce much of the year. I'm sure there are some isolated spots, but IA pike fishing in general is much tougher during warmer weather and I try to head to MN lakes.

delopez

Reaction score
What about hitting up some of the lakes? I know that it gets way hot down here during the summer. Even the lakes get to 80 degrees at times.

delopez

Reaction score
Could always hit clear lake. I've been there a bunch, but i don't have much experience fishing it.

bassbug

Reaction score
Head further north to the dam at Nashua. Smallmouth pike and walleye are in the pool and downstream. Great fishing all year round.

Hit Clear Lake when the yellow bass are feeding, you'll have a tired arm. Also bring the heavy gear, Muskies 50 + inches

delopez

Reaction score
I was going around the Osage area

bassbug

Reaction score
Have never fished that far north. Should be pretty good though. If memory is right that area should be catch and release for smallmouth. Pike are probably in the area also, I've gotten pike above and below the dam in Charles City, so one would assume they would be in the Osage area.

edit: Curiosity got to me. Checked that area on Google Earth. River looks to be very accessible to fish. A road runs north along the river to Mitchell. Lots of tight bends in the river should be some good holes.

A nature trail runs south of hwy 9 along the river with some very good looking water. Looks like I'm putting the stretch of river from hwy 9 to county road T 38 on my list.

Last edited:

delopez

Reaction score
Not to mention spring creek is right there if the river isn't productive. I've caught many trout in that stream

delopez

Reaction score
Yes. Connects to the cedar though, if i remember right

delopez

Reaction score
Picked up my loop booster rod, today. I will be chucking some serious meat with this, soon enough! I can't wait! A fish deserves a steak from time to time! ;)