Carp Flies for a Starter

jbird

Reaction score
Small leeches in black and brown. San juan worms and my all time top producer for carp, Damselfly nymphs. Burnt orange bugger with rubber legs and barbell eyes make a sufficient crayfish.

calftail

Reaction score
Are you familiar with Barry Reynolds...he authored "Carp On the Fly" ?

One of his favorite patterns is a Clouser Swimming nymph. I posted the fly in the forum "share patterns". Let me know if you want the recipe.

http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/share-patterns/343614-swimming-nymph.html

Recipe.....
Thread..orange
Hook.. #6 Eagle Claw A057 or similar
Tail..Long fibers with guard hairs dyed burnt orange from a hare's mask + two strands of gold/silver mylar tinsel
Body..Burnt orange underfur from the hare's mask
Thorax.. A good clump of peacock herl pulled over an underbody of burnt orange dubbing palmered with a brown furnace hackle
Head..One or two turns of orange slappen hackle, then a turn or two of peacock herl and a tapered head of orange thread

Tail = hook length
Tinsel= 75% of tail
Body= 1/2 shank
Thorax + head = 1/2 shank
Hackle= 2 hook gaps

Last edited:

john montana

Reaction score
Carp are tricky in that there is no "right" fly for all carp, but there probably is a "right" fly for your carp. Rule number one is to know your forage. Figure out exactly what the carp you are going to chase eat as their primary forage and then tie a fly designed to look and act accordingly. I have caught carp in a bunch of states now, and it is pretty amazing how different their forage can be. In ID we fished for them in a resevoir full of leeches and caught home on mohair leeches. On lake MI they chase and eat lots of gobies, so we catch them on big 2 inch long sculpin patterns. In my home water of the Columbia they eat mostly clams or nymphs, so out here I catch most of my fish on a hybrid.

Carp can eat just about anything, but if you figure out their primary forage it can be a big help. Took me forever to figure out they were eating clams out here...once I got that down it not only helped with the fly selection, but with how I fish it. Clams don't run, so I barely move the fly on my home water.

Good luck!

T

turbineblade

I rarely target carp around here, but a lot of other people do and the consensus is that "any damn thing" works for carp if you put it in the right spot and fish it well.

There's a lot of fancy patterns, but most types of woolly buggers and bonefish patterns work just as well as anything.