Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  32
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: First carp of 2014 for me

1. Default First carp of 2014 for me

It has been a long, cold winter! We finally got a day of sun, and despite the water likely being way too cold, I checked out an area that usually gets the first couple of carp of the season to show. I pulled up, walked down to take a peak and saw this:

Game on. This was just a small part of what I could see, there were carp everywhere in the shallows. Near as I could figure the one blast of sun we had sent the fish to the soft bottom to soak up some rays. Works for me. I geared up and got after them and absolutely slaughtered fish. All I had to do was get a hybrid within 2-3 inches of a carp and they would eat. Normally when they are grouped up you catch a few and they spook the rest, but the water temps were still so cold that the fish just came in like logs. I would sneak into position, make the cast, watch a SLOW dip and eat and then set the hook. The fish would roll up, and I would tow it to me and unhook it. No runs, just a simple tow and unhook. The good part was that very few fish spooked so I caught a load of them, but only had a couple take any fly line at all. Still...a great start to the season!

John Montana

Carp on the Fly

Default Re: First carp of 2014 for me

Very nice! Everything here still has some ice moving about on it, and now more snow in the forecast.
    "When you do things right, people wont be sure you've done anything at all."

Storm Drain Bonefisher

beautiful, strong work !! glad to see the tempts worked out. i spent about 20 hours over a few days in a kayak searching a lake for carp without any luck, did however find some great spots for when it gets warmer.
    "The core of mans spirit comes from new experiences" - C.J. McCandless

Blog Entries

Dang John, you know what this means after a day like that.......the rest of the year is going to be all down hill!

Congrats on an awesome day on the water.

Larry
    Larry

John,

Wonderful pix! That really gets me motivated for some carp on a fly.

PS - Please don't tell Joni where that is ...... or she will kill all the carp with her bow and toss them on the bank! I've read where carp have a long life span (maybe 50 years?), even though they are very hardy? She could wipe out that population in a couple days?

LOL ! just kidding, Joni !

6. Default Re: First carp of 2014 for me

OMG! I would kill to see them like that! It would definitely make it eas......ier :-) (not saying it is easy)

I have been blind fishing for them all winter . Some smaller, but the fight is insane.

Mine are still off the Rainy's Popcorn ball.
    Last edited by Joni; 02-25-2014 at 07:06 AM.

7. Likes jpbfly, dakotakid, twfitw liked this post
    mridenour Guest

That looks like a LOT of fun!

And... Now, I have no excuses and need to get out on the water. Missouri river, here I come. John, I would like to come fish your waters at some point!

10. Default Re: First carp of 2014 for me

Seeing the fish is crucial out here. In ten years of chasing them on the big C I have only "felt" 3 takes. You just aren't going to catch them blind because they won't chase a fly. You have to spot the fish and get the fly within about 4-8 in inches and then see the eat. Thankfully, the water is pretty clear and I get a lot of targets. Usually the early spring fish are as easy as they get, once they spread out onto the gravel bars they are a lot tougher. Pretty cool fishery.
    John Montana

Carp on the Fly

11. Default Re: First carp of 2014 for me

Quote Originally Posted by john montana View Post
    Seeing the fish is crucial out here. In ten years of chasing them on the big C I have only "felt" 3 takes. You just aren't going to catch them blind because they won't chase a fly. You have to spot the fish and get the fly within about 4-8 in inches and then see the eat. Thankfully, the water is pretty clear and I get a lot of targets. Usually the early spring fish are as easy as they get, once they spread out onto the gravel bars they are a lot tougher. Pretty cool fishery.
    I would like to try. :-) Might not chase, but they will take a fly.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast