Bluegills on a Fly Rod

bigjim5589

Reaction score
Not always the best, but I can agree with the most fun when using fly rods for them. I like using ultra light spinning tackle too sometimes.

They call them "pan" fish for a reason! Certainly one of the best tasting!

"Spot burning" can be a real problem, particularly when small waters are concerned. Even on big water such as the Chesapeake Bay it can become a problem. On another site, one that is primarily bay fishing related, folks have said many times it's not a good idea to spot burn where fish are caught, or next trip there will be a hundred boats in that spot. Unfortunately too much truth to it.

Ard made a real good post about naming small creeks. I don't mind telling where I catch fish, but that information has to be passed along in a proper manner, in general terms. I know of some tiny streams that rarely get fished, but would never reveal them to anyone. There are plenty of places to fish & find good fishing for Bluegills if you put in your time & look for them. Fishing is like marriage or relationships, not a good idea to share every detail about any of them. Some things should be kept to yourself. :shades:

mcnerney

Administrator
Reaction score
Ard made a real good post about naming small creeks. I don't mind telling where I catch fish, but that information has to be passed along in a proper manner, in general terms. I know of some tiny streams that rarely get fished, but would never reveal them to anyone. There are plenty of places to fish & find good fishing for Bluegills if you put in your time & look for them. Fishing is like marriage or relationships, not a good idea to share every detail about any of them. Some things should be kept to yourself.
How true! I don't mind saying where I fish when fishing big famous rivers, but it is a totally different thing when you are talking about small creeks that can't stand the pressure.

Larry

buddhist_palm

Reaction score
Funny little video

He mentions a giant Midwestern forum notorious for spot burning because 100 percent of the threads are location based named after the body of water

I love gills...

I think they certainly taste better then crappies. To me the meat is a bit more firm. I hate mushy fish!