Clouser minnow question

carp and bass

Reaction score
Hi,
Does anyone ever just tie a clouser with orangish on top and brown on bottom or vice verse as a smallmouth crawfish pattern? I have a rocky point with a lot of smallies and largemouth and I think it would work. I would just strip it slowly along the rocky bottom I think.

bigjim5589

Reaction score
Brown & orange is a classic Smallmouth color combination, usually with the darker brown on top. I like it with some gold & copper flash added. :D

Here's another Clouser I use as a crayfish imitation. Combination of natural red Fox Squirrel tail over coyote & Red Fox tail, all natural colors or you could try various dyed colors to mimic local crayfish. The thread is tobacco brown Danville Flat waxed nylon. There's some copper flash in there too. ;)

T

turbineblade

Opinion:

Don't get caught up in the "bi-color" is the only way thing (darker on top, lighter on bottom) like some folks will probably tell you at some point. A guy I respect quite a lot ties his with the light on top, dark on bottom (opposite of the conventional thinking) with the thinking that it may create a baitfish that "has something wrong with it" when stripped and left to pause, and is easy prey to predators.

I've tied them in every color you can imagine and they all seem to work if you get the retrieve right - I've never found the bi-color (light bottom) to do any better than the other. Just my take --

bigjim5589

Reaction score
Turbineblade, I certainly respect your opinions, and cannot disagree with this idea either. Very good point! I do however tie with the darker over the lighter, and it's a personal preference. There's no rule that states it can't be done otherwise, and not only with "baitfish" patterns. What you suggest can be appropriate for crayfish or even insects, and particularly where there is stronger currents. Many prey species are at the mercy of the current once they get caught in it and will tumble & thrash about trying to break free, so in such a situation, how a fly may appear to a fish could be different than how we view it in the vise. I prefer to tie as I do & let the water change the presentation, but agree it can be fine the other way too.

I've heard it said many times that jigs or crankbaits fished on the bottom that tumble with the current appear to be prey struggling and susceptible to being eaten. Even live baits may act this way in certain conditions. It does work & flies are no exception. Predators will take advantage of an easy meal when the opportunity allows.

IMO, the most important thing to remember is not always think like everyone else & be prepared to think outside the box at times. None of what we do with tying or fishing is absolute! ;)