Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  19
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Default Re: 5 Weight Bass Flies?

There were three primary reasons I didn't do snake. The first is that I wanted the line to be able to shoot as easily as possible, since it is so light weight, and I thought single foots with inserts would be best for this purpose. The second is that I thought snakes might stiffen the rod a bit with their two feet. The third reason, and really the most influencial, was that I had simply never used single foot guides before, and I wanted to give them a shot.

I took the rod out yesterday and REALLY liked it. I caught a bunch of bluegill and some small bass, and it was a ton of fun. The action is slow, so I had to adjust my tempo a bit, but overall I was still getting great distance with oversized flies.

2. Default Re: 5 Weight Bass Flies?

Well, I found this thread very helpful! I'm in Houston, and there are a lot of bass/carp/pan fish opportunities here near downtown. I've been practicing w/ my 5wt, and considering using my 8 wt to go after the bass. Don't know much about fly size, line size, etc. Sounds to me like I can experiment a lot, and come away with success whether I do what is recommended per status quo of the guidelines, or not. I'm glad there was so much input on this. Thanks all!

3. Likes nick k liked this post

I think that's a great outlook on the situation. Just have fun, that's all that matters.

I started with a 5 wt & love the rod weight,as I grew in flyfishing I learned the limits of my 5 wt.When I chase big bass I throw 7 wt with big flys but I still have my 5 wt with me. All the posts have good info use the rod you want learn what it can & cant do then go from there.
    Good luck enjoy we are all waiting for pictures of your bass
    Dennis
    fish more fish more often,If the hats missn I'm fishn

Thanks for the report Nick.....makes my mouth water......I looked up the web site and I see they also sell a 5'8" '0' weight. oh my....decisions, decisions

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123