Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  87
Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast

Default Re: Set-Up For Bluegills

Since this thread has come up, a TFO Pro series 7'6" 3WT with Rio Mainstream has become my go to bluegill rod. #10 foam spiders are the killer fly shortly followed by #10 or #12 black gnats (with red or black tails)

I originally started with a TFO PRO II 4wt with a Sage 2250 reel for big bull bream in the Florida panhandle. Now Iím using a TFO Finesse 1wt with an Orvis Battenkill 1 reel and Iím having loads of fun fighting and landing big bream. I also have a Maxcatch 1wt with a Dr Fish mini(FA60) reel that I have used occasionally - it is an awesome and CHEAP rig for big bream.

3. Default Re: Set-Up For Bluegills

Quote Originally Posted by tilimofly View Post
    I originally started with a TFO PRO II 4wt with a Sage 2250 reel for big bull bream in the Florida panhandle. Now Iím using a TFO Finesse 1wt with an Orvis Battenkill 1 reel and Iím having loads of fun fighting and landing big bream. I also have a Maxcatch 1wt with a Dr Fish mini(FA60) reel that I have used occasionally - it is an awesome and CHEAP rig for big bream.
    Hey, I am rather new to fly fishing, but, in a bluegill/lm bass state. I have heard that a light rod is hard to cast. Is that the case? A small rod would make a more exciting catch, but not if I can't get my bug into the water. I have a 5/6 right now.

Thanks,

-Dave

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

I always use either a 5 or 6 wgt when I fish for pan fish or bass. I've never had the urge to fish a lighter rod. You're good to go with what you've got.

Quote Originally Posted by dwlemen View Post
    Hey, I am rather new to fly fishing, but, in a bluegill/lm bass state. I have heard that a light rod is hard to cast. Is that the case? A small rod would make a more exciting catch, but not if I can't get my bug into the water. I have a 5/6 right now.

Thanks,

-Dave

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

I use a 5wt when i am fishing for panfish or in my local lakes because i am usually casting farther but i have a 2wt i love using when wading in the small creeks and streams.I love the fight you get from a medium sized bluegill on an ultralight rod.I am not counting on distance though.Usually just wading the center of the stream and making short casts on either side.If you are wanting to cast the larger bass bugs stick with the 5wt.

The lighter rod is not any harder to cast you just have to adjust your cast for the lighter line and use smaller flies.
    -Steve

"There is no greater fan of fly fishing than the worm."-Patrick f. McManus

6. Likes dennyk liked this post

The lighter rod is easier to use where we are fishing from a boat back in creeks off of the main river. We are casting and rolling our flies up under Tupelo trees that have limbs overhanging low to the water - the big bream are up under the Tupelo canopies - the small 1wt with 2 wt line works great.C863B419-1A6B-4999-9164-C8270119F1D0.jpg
    You can see the type of area behind my brother holding the size bream we catch....

8. Likes fr8dog, dakotakid, kentuckysteve liked this post

The lighter rod is good for shorter cast it tight places. Especially if you use one size heavier line. It gets more difficult to use if the wind picks up but is awesome for big bream - gives the bream a sporting chance and gives the fisherman a wonderful thrill when trying to land one of the big ones. I just really enjoy catching bream on the ultra light rigs myself.......

10. Likes dennyk, kentuckysteve liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by rawtrout View Post
    My local lake has an amazing population of bluegills. I find myself regularly catching them on all manner of lures, meant for the much harder to entice bass I normally target. Any recommendations for a nice all around bluegill set up (what size/weight rod etc).
    Lake is a typical mountain lake (in NY) no weird structure, cast to dock/bank, reel, catch bluegill, repeat.
    Here's the deal. You are catching bluegill when targeting bass so I am going to assume you will sometimes hook a bass when targeting bluegill. So you need to decide whether you want a light line rod like a 3 wt that would give a lot of fun with the bluegill, but would be way too light for the bass you hook; OR a rod like a 5 wt. that would still be fun and would tame the bass without exhausting it.

It is not that you cannot land that bass with a 3 wt when you are in open water; it is that the bass would be so exhausted, it could die. If you hook a bass near structure with a 3 wt, it likely will get you wrapped around the dock or timber. Consider a 9 ft 5 wt Echo Base for $89.95.
    Regards,

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy

12. Likes kentuckysteve liked this post
    Blog Entries

One can catch pretty good bass with a 2 weight without unnecessarily wearing them out. Bass typically jump a few times anyway and then sort of self wear out no matter what rod weight you use. Then, so long as your tippet is up to it, the 2 or 3 weight should be able to pull in the fish in no problem.

Anytime anyone goes after sunfish any place I've been there's a chance to get a bass and a good one at that. In my experience, a 2 or 3 weight is plenty except maybe for the really big fish which are unlikely to come on a small fly designed for sunfish/bluegills. It really doesn't take me any longer to land a 3 or 4 pound bass with a two weight as it does a 7 or 8 weight. Nothing I've ever read puts Largemouth Bass in the delicate fish category so if it takes a reasonable amount of time with the light set up or the 7 or 8 weight, what difference does it make?

The 2 or 3 weight limits the flies one can use and the distances they can be cast, but not so much the fish like LMB that can be ethically caught. Pull that fish in once it's jumped a few times and your line and tippet will hold if the tippet isn't some unnecessarily super fine type. We are talking bluegills here, not picky pressured trout.

14. Likes dennyk, kentuckysteve, wf0 liked this post

I totally agree the Shakespeare Micro series fly rod is a steal for the pennies it costs ($19.99 at Academy Sports). I bought one on a whim and was pleasantly surprised when I put a Piscifun Blaze 3/4wt reel and 4wt line on it. That combo is perfect for bluegill on a tight budget!

Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast