The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > >

Warmwater Fly Fishing Bass, Bream, Perch, etc...

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  78
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Old 03-16-2016, 04:16 PM

flyfisser is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Set-Up For Bluegills

Quote:
Originally Posted by rawtrout View Post
My local lake has an amazing population of bluegills. I find myself regularly catching them on all manner of lures, meant for the much harder to entice bass I normally target. Any recommendations for a nice all around bluegill set up (what size/weight rod etc).
Lake is a typical mountain lake (in NY) no weird structure, cast to dock/bank, reel, catch bluegill, repeat.
rawtrout...

If you want a nice little rod for Gills without having to bleed your wallet, check out the Shakespeare Micro Series 7' 4wt rod available at Wal-Mart stores for $16.96!! I just bought one even though I'm not really an advocate for goods made offshore but hey, for $16.96 if I fall down and break it what am I out?? You can pair it up with any small reel of your choice and it will make a fun rod for Gills wherever they swim. I put an Okuma Sierra S4/5 on mine and I have a little over $50 in the whole outfit (I already had a spare line).

Here's a YouTube review link a fellow flyfisher made...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?featur...&v=Vj4YV-R_bog

I'll agree with the man who did the review, I believe it will benefit from a 4wt line. I had a spare 3wt and although it's OK, I think the 4 would load the rod perfectly.

FF
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes karstopo liked this post
Old 03-17-2016, 05:44 PM

beachbreak is on a distinguished road

I have all sorts of "bream" (bluegills, warmouth, etc) in my pond. My favorite hardware is a 3wt moderate action rod, small click/pawl reel, 7.5 foot 5x leader.
I use all sorts of small trout flies, dry, wet and nymphs. They also love little bream poppers in the evening.
Old 03-17-2016, 06:13 PM

novicefly85 is on a distinguished road

My set up includes a 8 ft 6WF floating line with a 5X tippet and a #14 dry black gnat since they are pretty typical insects in the warm seasons. Here's what I caught today on this set up in GA with winds up to 10 mph and 50 degree water temps. Click the image to open in full size.Click the image to open in full size.Click the image to open in full size.

Sent from my 0PM92 using Tapatalk
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 2 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes onemississipp, karstopo liked this post
Old 03-17-2016, 07:49 PM

Nice. I always crush the barb down on my hooks too and carry hemostats. Sometimes the little guys swallow the fly pretty deep. This really helps.
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 2 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes BadKarma, wee hooker liked this post
Old 08-30-2016, 03:45 AM
okuma

8 foot 3 inch LSI, 3 weight. Antique click pawl reel. 4 lb. tippet max. Good to go!
Old 09-27-2016, 12:48 PM

mcspud is on a distinguished road

I use a Steffen 7.5 2/3 wt. Two reels, one a Battenkill set up with 3WF. and another Shakespeare 1094 with 2DT. Small bass, and 10in. crappies are a blast...I agree the lighter set up you use the better.
Old 05-19-2017, 05:59 PM

pupnik is on a distinguished road

Is a vintage Fenwick 806 suitable for big bluegill
when bass are a possibility, also?
Old 05-20-2017, 06:14 AM

wee hooker is a glorious beacon of lightwee hooker is a glorious beacon of lightwee hooker is a glorious beacon of lightwee hooker is a glorious beacon of lightwee hooker is a glorious beacon of lightwee hooker is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachbreak View Post
Nice. I always crush the barb down on my hooks too and carry hemostats. Sometimes the little guys swallow the fly pretty deep. This really helps.
Well Done Sir! IMHO, both are a must for bluegill fishing. Their tiny mouths and huge appetites often prevent seeing /getting access to all but the front of the fly. Being able to quickly grab what little you can with the hemo's to back the hook out saves a lot of stress ( to human and fish.)
FWIW, here again, nothing special is needed. I buy the $3.50 hemo's with scissors off Ebay and they work just great.
Old 05-20-2017, 08:59 AM

horsehead is just really nicehorsehead is just really nicehorsehead is just really nicehorsehead is just really nicehorsehead is just really nice

Can I pick more than one?

Barclay 64p with an old 1492, Barrio smallstream WF4F line. (sorry, I could only find a bass picture with that rod.)

Barclay 70p also with an old 1492, Barrio smallstream WF5F. Click the image to open in full size.Click the image to open in full size.
Old 10-02-2017, 07:48 PM

Onemississipp, that is a beautiful setup (rod/reel) for bluegills.