Set-Up For Bluegills

rawtrout

Reaction score
My local lake has an amazing population of bluegills. I find myself regularly catching them on all manner of lures, meant for the much harder to entice bass I normally target. Any recommendations for a nice all around bluegill set up (what size/weight rod etc).
Lake is a typical mountain lake (in NY) no weird structure, cast to dock/bank, reel, catch bluegill, repeat.

jimp

Reaction score
Just about any 4 or 5 weight will work fine for BG, depending on you preferences and budget. Cabelas did have or does have the Reddington CT rods for sale at $99 which would be a good one, this rod goes on sale on a regular basis, and some members put 'em for sale at times at well. Cabelas prestige reels would make a good match for the rod as well.

ponycarman

Reaction score
I started out with a 5wt. And while I like it and am having a blast with it I have only caught bluegill. I'm currently saving to build a lighter setup to bring out a little more fight in the smaller fish. Gonna get a 3wt classic trout. There are so many good choices just depends on what you want.

axle27

Reaction score
Although I don't often get to, I have a 7ft 3wt loaded with a WF4F on it specifically for bluegill. It's a hoot. Unless you're someplace where you might get into something significantly bigger, it's all you need.

lthrnk03

Reaction score
I have a 5wt Orvis Clearwater set up. It's a great little rig, perfect for bluegill, bass and trout. I'd love to have a little 3wt to go after them, but honestly there's no real need. 5wt.... Jack of all trades, master of none.

fq13

Reaction score
I use a Reddington CT 3wt. Its fun for gills and small bass and salt water catfish. I use one ofCabelas wind river reels on it. It was like $19 on sale. Go cheap on the reel, its just a line holder for panfish. Though will say thaT I do get the cats on the reel and that little thing has a decent drag.

bmbailes

Reaction score
i use a variety of 4wt glass rods! the 4wt can throw hopper/droppers but being fiberglass, bends into the handle with fiesty panfish:) lots of fun and what i end up fishing for to relax and have non stop action!

rickf

Reaction score
I've been using a 3wt 8'4" and having so much fun with the 'gills.

A couple years ago, I had a 1wt Superfine, and it was a "thrill" to catch a 6" bluegill with that rod. I sold it, and I'm so sorry I did! I'm looking for a good deal on a Sage 000.

My advise: "Go light, young man, go lite"

Rip Tide

Reaction score
I literally have a garbage can full of vintage rods all waiting their turn to come out to play
Most of those rods are used primarily for bluegill and most of those are 6wts
Light enough for bluegill, heavy enough for bass.

tedwin183

Reaction score
I'd say a 7' 3wt St. Croix Imperial with an Orvis Battenkill I and some 3 wt SA Aircel would be a great, inexpensive little setup for bluegill and even some small trout. Get a sink tip for it and you have a good fall crappie rig too.

ditz

Reaction score
Nothing heavier than a 6 to 7' 3wt and I would prefer lighter on graphite. My current graphite is a 6' 2wt. I am looking at a 6 1/2' glass 3wt. Glass is Class:D

fr8dog

Reaction score
A good bluegill rod (and a good anything stick) for a decent price is a Cabela's Three Forks. I got a 3 and liked it enough to pick up a 5. Nice rods and easy on the wallet.

bigjim5589

Reaction score
I've caught a lot of different panfish, some bass & even some Stripers on my 6 wt. It's an 8' IM6 Cabelas rod I bought in 1989. Not sure the model, I would have to go look. Probably not made now anyway. Caught the biggest Bluegills I've ever seen with it in FL one time. I have it paired with a Lamson LP 2 reel. Again, not still made!

However, like others when targeting Bluegills & the other panfishes I like a 3 or 4 wt rod better than the 6 wt. I've got one of each that were custom made & recently bought a TFO finesse. (Actually bought 2 a 3 & a 4 wt, gave one to my oldest son) Can't remember which I kept. :eek:

Have not used the TFO as yet, but expect it will be a dandy rod for Bluegills, Crappies or Perch (or any of the other members of the Sunfish family we have here in MD.) I pair them with Okuma Sierra or Cortland Rimfly reels. :D

I've also got 2 inexpensive fiberglass rods I like to sometimes use for panfishes. Ones a Berkley Buccaneer, the others a Diawa. I pair them with the same reels & doesn't really seem to matter what line I use. They handle a range of line weights & are fun to fish with. :D

dc410

Reaction score
A 3 or 4 weight is probably the outfit of choice for bluegills. I don't think it really matters as far as the reel goes. I would go with a relatively lower price point reel. However, if you target some waters that hold some good bluegills they can be a lot of fun on almost any WW outfit. Here is one that I caught last weekend on a #2 popper while targeting Largemouth Bass (sorry about the grainy photo, it was the only one that I took). I really wasn't sure whether I had a decent bass or a really good 'gill until I got it to the surface. Lots of fun!

nick k

Reaction score
I use my 0wt right now for bluegill and small bass. Before that I used my 2wt. You can go as low as you want. If you really are just targeting bluegill with it, I wouldn't go over 3wt.

J

james w 3 3

I normally use a sweet 2wt outfit, what a blast!
But now I'm thinking of using my Tenkara rod, could it be even MORE fun?
I'm smiling just thinking about it! :p

harry2110

Reaction score
I'd say a 7' 3wt St. Croix Imperial with an Orvis Battenkill I and some 3 wt SA Aircel would be a great, inexpensive little setup for bluegill and even some small trout. Get a sink tip for it and you have a good fall crappie rig too.
Actually it is a AWESOME little inexpensive bluegill rig as it is what I use with SA sharkwave gpx instead of aircell as it floats longer. This honestly is a nice combo and has my 5wt imperial sitting as backup most of the time unless I need to cast longer than 60-70ft. The thing can even handle some brutes as I have landed 11-14in gills on it and some smaller bass and will be using it as my go to rod for all species this fall. Now it does have me looking at 1wt or less as the thing throws some much more like a 5wt but is still a true 3wt in flex.

tex

Reaction score
My 'gill set up is the same as my high mountain Sierras set up. Custom 7'6" 1wt full flex rod with Orvis Battenkill BBS reel with the RIO Trout LT DT line.

Bluegills have small mouths and respond killer to small unweighted nymphs as well as small dries. Plus, a full flex 1wt puts a smile on your face when a 3" 'gill puts a significant bend in the rod!