Best Bass Flies

teamtrout

Reaction score
Lets see your best bass flies. Pictures or pattern names.

---------- Post added at 03:34 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:29 PM ----------

Mine is a simple popper. Black cork body, long yellow rubber legs, size 2, black bucktail tail.

*I'm still relatively new to the forum and don't know how to upload pictures.

bigjim5589

Reaction score
First, welcome to the site! Easiest way to add pictures to a post IMO is to upload them to a free account such as Photobucket, then use the "IMG" links provided. There's an icon at the top of the reply box on the forum for inserting images. It's a small picture looking thing, looks like there's a mountain in the picture.

No offense to you, but these type of threads are posted often. It's been done many times for bass flies. A site search will provide replies to your inquiry. After it's been done several times folks tend to lose interest. :rolleyes:

However, to provide an answer, I don't have a favorite. I actually have many.
I like using a wide variety of flies for bass & most any other species I may chase. But, that's just me! :D

Much depends on the waters I'm fishing as to what I'll choose. Plus, the conditions at the time. I would rather toss topwater flies, but that's not always the best approach, so I'll go with subsurface flies of many types too.

I've been fly fishing for bass a long time, and my most productive flies are styles rather than specific patterns. Most of the bass fishing I do is in tidal waters & I often use the same flies for Striped Bass.

My most productive styles! A small sampling of flies from my fly boxes.
Lefty's Deceivers

Clouser Minnows

Seaducers

Rabbit Strip flies

Poppers & Gurglers :)

Some of my fly boxes & flies I use for bass! ;)

C

catchemall

That's a pretty extensive collection ya got there

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

teamtrout

Reaction score
Wow!! That is a ton of flies!! But hey, I guess you can never have too many;)

Thanks for posting those. I understand what you mean about this topic being covered before, but thanks for taking the time to adding the pics. I was really looking for some inspiration to tie some new flies, and you gave me plenty of ideas.:)

tedwin183

Reaction score
Really depends on the type of bass...

My main bass query is the smallie, and my main flies are:

Gray/White 1/0 Murdich Minnow
Gold/White 1/0 Murdich Minnow

Black over white sz 4 Clouser Minnow (tied with DNA Frosty Fish Fibers. My go-to when nothing else works)
Chartreuse over white sz 4 Clouser Minnow (DNA)
Tan over white sz 4 Clouser Minnow with a thin black stripe down the middle.
Olive over white sz 4 Clouser Minnow

TeQueely sz 6.

Hi Tail Craw sz 4 orange
Hi Tail Craw sz 4 green

Crazy Dad sz 4 brown
Crazy Dad sz 4 purple

Rarely a blockhead popper sz 4.

bigjim5589

Reaction score
Thanks for the fine comments! I actually have a lot more than these. :rolleyes:

Teamtrout, if you're looking for inspiration, there's plenty of flies posted here on the forums. Check out some of the Steelhead & Salmon flies, various trout flies & saltwater flies posted in the various forums. Many of them will work well for bass in some situations. When I have the opportunity to chase stream Smallmouths, I'll often use large foam Stonefly or Hopper flies or some of the Steelhead patterns such as MOAL's or Intruders. Plus, some of the most productive cray patterns I've found are nothing more than Bonefish or Redfish (or Carp) patterns tied in colors that mimic local crayfish.

Think outside the box! :D

As I said, I've been doing this a long time. It's not difficult to assemble a large collection of flies over many years. You just have to sit down & tie. Even with so many flies in my boxes, I still enjoy tying & when I tie, I'll add perhaps a dozen flies at a time to the collection. Some of those flies in my boxes are purchased, and some have been provided in swaps, so that too can add up quickly.

Large collections are not necessary for catching, but again I like variety. Tying different styles of flies IMO has helped make me a better tier, and of course I never run out of ideas or flies! My last outing to a trout stream, something I don't get to do often, I caught one small 10" trout on a Clouser Minnow with bead chain eyes that I had tied with the intention of chasing Crappies with it. The trout didn't seem to mind! ;)

BTW, the Murdich Minnow that tedwin183 mentioned is a very good style for LM bass & Striped Bass too! I tie them a little different than the original pattern, but same basic idea!

Some additional patterns that I've tied recently. These were tied with both Redfish & Bass in mind, as they'll work for either!

clay tonian

Reaction score
LM - popper, small enough to still catch bream
Smallies and Shoal bass - a big old black woolly booger, size 6-8...perfect hellgrammite imitation

that reminds me, it's time to go bream fishing...

Reactions: bks

tpo

Reaction score
I love fishing top water bugs, here are a few of my favorite deer hair bugs copied from my fly gallery (sorry to those who've seen these before, its not the first time I've posted them):

Tom

tpo

Reaction score
Nice flies! How do these ones act in the water? Does the head float, and the zonker trail behind, sunken?
Yeah, the head floats and the tail wiggles behind like a small snake. It will sink when waterlogged; you can fish it that way or squeeze the water out to make it float again. I've never done it with this fly but I'm sure you can also drag it under with a sinking line. I love this fly, it's been deadly for me, and it's an easy deer hair tie.

Tom

bigjim5589

Reaction score
You guys have some great looking deer hair flies! :thumbsup:

Another one I really like is Tabory's Snake fly. It's popular for Striped bass, but both LM & SM bass like it as well. Tie it in black, white & what ever other colors you like! ;)

jsxtreme

Reaction score
These are my top 5. (pics not my own, borrowed from google)

1) Boogle Bug Popper:

2) Schultz's S3 Sculpin:

3) Baby Bass colored Clouser Minnow:

4) Schultz's red eye leech:

5) Foam spider/ant:

[/QUOTE]

ditz

Reaction score
just a comment on the hair bugs with the zonker tails. Those do look like great fish getters. Many years ago I knew a great ole fella that fished a Johnson Silver minnow with a black eel pork rind trailer and he caught a lot of big LMB. These hair bugs should do the same and can be fished much slower than the spoon and pork is capable of.....Think I will give them a whiz myself. Thanks for posting. Should be a great Florida lake offering.

bigjim5589

Reaction score
Hey ditz, I'm certainly an old fellow, but don't know about the great part, and the Silver Minnow spoon & black pork eel is one of my favorite bass lures too!

You're right on the money about those deer hair & rabbits strip flies! I don't fish the deer hair flies often enough, but patterns with rabbit strips I like a lot! Really can't go wrong with them any place for bass!

There's been many superb flies posted in this thread. :thumbsup:

Reactions: bks

mirabelasunshine

Reaction score
BigJim, that's a great collection.

There's not that much that bass won't eat if you find them in the mood.

Here are some of the sinking patterns I like.

On the surface I do well with foam or balsa poppers, and just below it I like deer hair/bunny strip slider/divers. I also use a lot of real simple veiled hook bucktails. I favor those in particular since I spend a lot of time where there are also bunches of pickerel and pike. Getting bitten off from time to time is just a fact, part of the reality of fishing here -- and it's a lot easier to take when the flies you're losing are three-minute quickies with ten cents worth of material.