Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  67
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Musky on a Fly

1. Default Musky on a Fly

Hello all,

This is a step into unfamiliar territory and I am hoping that I could get some guidance on this one.

I have been fishing for Muskies in the Midwest for over 14 years, and thought that it would be cool to see one of these apex predators being caught on a fly rod. A friend of mine got me hooked on to this, but both of us never attempted to go after musky on a fly rod. This is something totally new to me and I would like to get some input on a few things before I go and buy the wrong stuff.

I did a lot of research and see that just like with a lot of other things it comes down to personal preference. According to the research I have done any 9wt or 10wt rod will do the job. As for the reels I see some mixed reviews, some people say the reel only holds the line, other people say you need stopping power which I tend to agree. As for the line I read that it all depends what type of water you are fishing.

The lakes around me are usually on average 8-30 feet deep. I tend to look for muskies in heavy cover such as weeds and flooded timber. Usually those areas are very shallow and the clearance between the weeds and the water surface is anywhere from 6" to 14". I think that I am getting hang up on this Fly-Line subject more than on anything I have mentioned before.

The lakes I fish are not very good top water lakes. I mostly fish these lakes with shallow crank baits, bucktails, spinner baits, and gliders. The only time I go deep is in late fall and winter when the Muskies move in deep following the schools of bait fish. It is safe to say that I would fly fish for muskies during spring and early fall when the fish is in the shallows.

Any suggestions?
    Thanks
    Zipp

2. Likes cmphillips110 liked this post

Default Re: Musky on a Fly

Here's my musky on a fly

Caught in Northern Wisconsin. Had some other follows and another take that ended with a cut line, amazing fishing. I fished with a 9' 10wt TFO Mangrove, I finished it from a blank. Found it to toss the big flies and sinking lines very well. For reel I got an Orvis Battenkill Mid-Arbor. I've heard you don't need much of a drag for musky since they aren't going to run that much but figured if I'm getting a 10wt set-up might as well get one that I could use for other quarry as well, including salt.

- William

4. Default Re: Musky on a Fly

williamhj,

That is a good looking fish. Congrats!!

The rods I was looking at were all 9' made by Echo, and TFO. The models are ion, and edge from echo and bvk, and mangrove from TFO. I think they all compare fairly well to each other.

What type of line are you using?
    Thanks
    Zipp

5. Likes cmphillips110 liked this post

I use a St Croix Legend Ultra 9WT 9FT. About all my elbows care to throw. I use a sink tip line but some use floater and weighted flies. Others use a sinking leader.

That's a very nice ski William! Not an easy task on the fly.

7. Likes cmphillips110 liked this post

Thanks! For line I got Rio's Pike/Musky line WF10F/I, sink rate of 1.5ips. The buddy I fished with said it sank a bit fast for some of the water so I used one of his reels for some of the fishing, so I might grab an extra spool with a different line? It can be a lot to cast, but the sight of a musky following your fly has a way of making you forget sore shoulders and elbow
    - William

9. Likes cmphillips110 liked this post

Most everyone agrees a 10WT is better for musky. I just need to stay in the game and my elbows have a little age on them. I'd use my 8WT if they would throw the huge flies proper. I'd like to try a two hander some day.

No, I agree. That heavier rod with intermediate line and big flies take their toll.
    - William

12. Default Re: Musky on a Fly

Thanks guys,

I am used to all the pain that comes along with muskie fishing, i have been throwing huge no12 double blades with trailers all fall long, but as Will said all that pain is worth seeing a fish follow. I am sure that the level of exitment will be higher on a fly setup.

13. Default Re: Musky on a Fly

I fell in love with this type of fishing this year.
    Nothing better than watchin a musky attack a fly.....

I used a 10 wt Allen Volant w a Kraken reel. Performed great. I also was able to use the guides Mystic Reaper Rod - another great rod. I reccomend either.

I had a 9 wt with me also but it could not handle the big flies so it was spent the day watching the big boys.
    Rio Pike line didnt work well on cold days ( last trip to Northerm Wi was 11/6) before the big snow.

Ill be back at it again next summer.

Ted will see this thread eventually. He has a bunch of musky on the fly under his belt and lives deep in Musky Country now. He has helped me a lot.

15. Likes ted4887 liked this post
Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast