General Discussion for Smallmouth

redington661

Reaction score
Hello everyone!

I had already posted a thread involving fishing for smallmouth along a river near where I live (The Little Miami) and I decided to start a separate thread for general discussion on smallmouth (tips, tackle, techniques etc.) This topic has been on my mind for awhile now, and since I am the only fly fisherman in my family and group of friends, I thought I'd get some help from you all!

Question numero uno: favorite flies/set-up for river smallmouth?

Tight Lines!

Last edited:

williamhj

Reaction score
If they are willing I'd say topwater - love catching river smallies on poppers and mice. Visual takes, love the sound of a bass taking a surface fly and they are fun to cast as well.

Otherwise it is hard to go wrong with a bugger. Black wooly bugger is probably my go-to fly. A variant that I've found to be killer is the Tongue Depressor. It was invented by Bill Scherer who has a fly shop in Boulder Junction Wisconsin. You can order them from him. I tied my own but always buy some from him when I'm out there. Also catch them on Clouser minnows and other streamers, but the Tongue Depressor is probably my #1.

wyldechylde77

Reaction score
I live in Buffalo, NY. Right down the street from me, not even two minutes away, I have access to the upper Niagara River, which is a Smallmouth Bass haven. And of course, just a short drive down the I-190 South brings me to Lake Erie, which is reknowned for big Smallmouth Bass. I love catching Smallies on conventional tackle and fly tackle, though the fly fishing opportunities for them are slim. You just gotta be around at the right times or it won't happen, especially on the River. Pre-spawn, spawn, and post-spawn in the harbors are your best opportunities to get em on a fly here. They'll go wild for flies that imitate their natural forage, such as crayfish, leeches, baitfish, and gobies.

I'll use the pre-spawn Smallmouths here as examples. I use an 8wt fly rod because when the Smallies are in pre-spawn, there are still very aggressive post-spawn Northern Pike around. I also use an 8wt because of the flies I throw at them. I've had luck with Emerald Shiner patterned Clouser Minnows, black, olive, and brown colored Bunny Leeches and Woolly Buggers, and crayfish and goby patterns. These two patterns have been VERY effective for me:

Rabbit Zonker Goby/Sculpin

Couple of crayfish patterns:

Emerald Shiner-style Clouser Minnow:

Those are some of the patterns I've tied that are effective. There are of course hundreds of variations. Here are just a few hawgs, I'd say results speak for themselves:

Personal best, also happened to be caught on a goby fly, 6.2lbs!

A few more:

Bottom line: get your flies down to them, and fish as you would conventional tackle. Smallies are real scrappers on a fly rod, and well worth the effort. ;)

wademaster

Reaction score
Large buggers and slumpbusters catch smallies the best for me. Black or brown. I like the cone head for weight. When the weather warms I'm going to try some of the minnow patterns too. Hopefully I can learn to tie those. I fish rivers/streams exclusively for the smallmouth.

Sent from my kayak...

ted4887

Reaction score
There's no better way to catch a smallie than on a popper. Period. The End.

If I can't get a bite on poppers, and it pains me to even think this way, then I'll go with bigger streamers most of the time. hangtime optic minnows and beufords (size 1-2/0), murdich minnows, Sex dungeons, meat whistles, and then the always great Tequeely. If I can't catch a smallmouth on a Tequeely, then there probably aren't any smallmouth nearby.

redington661

Reaction score
Thanks guys!

I'm fairly new to fly fishing. So, I apologize for any novice comments I may produce! I actually picked up a fly rod for the first time only a little less than a year ago, went to Montana to fish for rainbow trout, and I was instantly hooked on the sport. Right now, I'm using a 5wt, tossing smaller hoppers and poppers, and have been successful mostly with largemouth. I'll soon be upgrading to a 6wt so I can throw some larger flies, while still having the ability to fish for trout and smaller panfish as well. I'll definitely be fishing rivers and streams rather than ponds and lakes much more this season. Any tips on where to look for smallies on a river? I've tried a few different types of water (slow moving, rapids, little riffles) with no luck so far. And does anyone know when the best time of year for river smallies is?

Thanks for all the pics of fish and flies too! Much appreciated! I'll definitely look in to tying a few myself or purchasing some in the near future. Especially the infamous and universal woolly bugger!

williamhj

Reaction score
You mentioned fishing the Little Miami river, that makes me think Ohio. Am I right? If so, why not skip the 6wt and jump to an 8wt? You can toss some nice big bass bugs and pike flies, and also fish Steelhead coming off Lake Erie. Using your 5wt for small bass as well as for panfish should be no problem.

redington661

Reaction score
Ohio is right! I was actually thinking more about a 7 or 8wt to toss some heavier streamers. And I almost forgot about the steelhead! I will definitely look more into a heavier rod now. Thanks!

williamhj

Reaction score
For sure. I have a 6wt that I keep up in Northern Wisconsin, but find my 9'8wt is my go-to rod for bass and pike. Not always needed, but great for tossing the big flies. Next you'll be eyeing the 10wt for musky :)

B

blackbugger

I typically use a 6wt for poppers and smaller divers.
I use an 8wt for everything else.

Like the crayfish pattern, looks simple but effective.

bigjim5589

Reaction score
Smallmouths are my favorite freshwater fish species. :D

There's been some awesome suggestions for fly patterns made here. One note, SM bass will take flies that are quite large. Over the years I've read many times that you need to down size for them compared to LM bass. Although this may be true in some places, I've yet to find it to be true generally speaking. SM will eat a lot of the same things that LM bass will eat.

I once hooked a SM in the MD portion of the Susquahanna River below Conowingo Dam on a 8" saltwater style pencil popper while fishing for Striped Bass. That SM was only about 6" long. I've also read far too many accounts of monster SM's being caught by anglers chasing Muskies & Pike, and caught on the lures used for those species. Don't make the mistake of thinking that only small flies need to be used for SM's.

IMO, anything that is commonly used for LM bass will also work for SM bass. The primary difference is how you go about fishing for them. SM generally are more susceptible to faster moving flies, while LM like things slower. Not always true for either, so you need to try different retrieves to see what they want.

There are a lot of fly patterns commonly used in saltwater that can be very productive for both too. I've caught many of each on Seaducers & Lefty's Deceivers, as well as large Clouser Minnows & Half & Half's. One of my favorite "crayfish" flies is a Squimp, which is a Bonefish type fly. I simply tie them in colors that better match local crayfish. Many of the "flats" flies used for Bonefish, Permit or Redfish can be good for SM's & LM's.

There are also quite a few flies that the Steelhead & Salmon folks frequently use, that are superb SM bass flies as well. Flies such as Intruders, MOAL,s & even Bombers are attractive to SM's.

Here in MD we have many small streams that hold SM's including many of our trout streams. Depending on the stream, or river I'm fishing, I've fished for them using everything from a 3 wt to an 8 wt, but have most often used my 6 wt.

In river & stream environments, they'll be found in most places that trout might be found, except the bass tolerate warmer water than trout. I've read that SM's don't relate to wood very well, and will be found instead where there is rock or gravel. In some streams & rivers here, I've caught them many times in deeper holes where there is large undercut root mats or sunken wood. IMO, with a lack of rock, they'll still seek whatever cover or structure is available.

Here's some flies I've used for SM's. :)

Last edited:

ejsell

Reaction score
You'll get some really good advice on here and also on the Ohio Game Fishing site. I've never fished that far south so I'm no help with the little Miami but their are a few guys on the other site that fish it. I very rarely get a top water hit in the river that runs through Findlay, I really don't know why. I do fish top water in a local pond. Most of the time I'm fishing varients of wooly buggers with rubber legs in green, orange or black colors. I catch a lot of smallies and rock bass on them. Some clousers and zonkers also. Smallies are most active in the late spring through mid fall. Winter months I'd head to the mad river or clear fork for trout. Or head to Cleveland for steelhead. When looking for smallies look for rocky and gravel areas near riffles. They like to dodge in and out of the ripples for food.

And the occasional cat fish

Rip Tide

Reaction score
I think that a lot of people don't understand that there's a big difference between a well designed largemouth fly and a quality fly for smallmouth.

Large mouth flies need plenty of built-in action.
LMB expect a fly to appear alive even when it's sitting perfectly still.
Rubber legs, plenty of hairy hackle. Jiggly stuff.

Smallmouth bass like "fast food"
They want to see their prey move. Anything that makes a wake on the surface or is in constant motion sub-surface works
That's why a Clouser Minnow is such a good fly for smallmouth. It's always in motion even when you're not stripping
Any "appendages" that make a smallmouth fly less aerodynamic are a hindrance rather than helpful.
You want a fly that casts a distance well so that you can keep it in motion as long as possible
Totally the opposite of a good fly for LMB where you need to cast it accurately into a small space and leave it there, looking alive, for as long as possible

Flyfisher for men

Reaction score
I don't get to fish smallies much, but do get to the Huron river in Michigan on vacation. There was a website for flyfishing it (may not be active now but they had good success on that water with buggers (I did well with a black), as well as clousers and Chernobyl ants. Crayfish patterns, too.

edit: Also just remembered: on that stream, the SM bass eat hexagenia's. Nymphs and hex flies at night.

Last edited:

jbird

Reaction score
Not a whole lot to add. They do love BIG flies. REALLY BIG! They can be as finicky as carp one day and as gluttonous as bluegill the next. I think I learned more about smallies sight fishing to them in clear water in a day than I couldve learned in a year blind casting to them. Watching how they react to a fly is very interesting. Also, these fish absolutely LOVE the pause. With poppers, neutral buoyants and sinking flies. A Lot of fish are missed blind casting to them as they notoriously suck n spit on the pause. If you can see the fish you can react.
Poppers are my favorite way to fish for them. Your poppers dont nee to be fancy, just durable. For a midwater fly I absolutely LOVE EP type flies. I catch more big small mouth on EP flies than any other.... By far! They just swim well and have very seductive pause.

EP fly

This fish took a 10" double buford while musky fishing

Theyre a blast!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C4DwpS3QavE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IRsagR-gb1c

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FUGPzvWp3KM

lake flyer

Reaction score
Here in NE Ohio i fish a gartside gurgler or something like it almost exclusively. Once the water warms above sixty degrees I haven't found much reason to fish subsurface in the streams here. When I first started out I fished clousers and streamers a lot but now I just fish topwater. I use a five or six weight rod with a Wulff Ambush line, great for roll or spey casting with a single hand rod and large flies. If you get a six or seven weight rod, nine or ten feet long, then it would be fine for our steelhead up here also. I have also been using a four weight switch rod which is fun fished as a two hander.