Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default Ep-Fiber bait fish patterns?

I made a ep-fiber bait fish pattern. I took it out and tried it and it fishes like a dead fish most of the time. Once in a while it would straighten up like a live fish. Is this normal? Mine are long and skinny just like what I see in cabela's and on the internet. What is your opinion?

2. Default Re: Ep-Fiber bait fish patterns?

Love it, I've tied 8" herring to 3" bunker....The long hair drives me crazy with hook wrapping, but they do a great job of undulating in the water, much better than deer hair. I also love the translucences of white and the lighter colors.

Did you try it in moving or still water?

Default Re: Ep-Fiber bait fish patterns?

Hi tgoodwater2002,

Can you post a picture of your flies?

Frank

4. Default Re: Ep-Fiber bait fish patterns?

I will do that tonight when I get home. I haven't taken any pics of them. I do have to get ready for work. I will be in touch!!

5. Default Re: Ep-Fiber bait fish patterns?

I had a little extra time.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default Re: Ep-Fiber bait fish patterns?

Hi tgoodwater2002,

That is a great tye for your first try. Here are a couple of suggestions. I would not make the fly so thick behind the eye and have more body toward the tail. That is I would not taper down to the tail so quickly. If you want a shorter fly you need to use a narrower body. In the front on picture I see the lower body is not balanced. This might contribute to the erratic action. It may cause the fly to roll over more easily.

I have to say that I have never tied with EP-Fibers. FlyGal may have some better information for you.

Frank

7. Default Re: Ep-Fiber bait fish patterns?

I think you did an out standing job....I would use 1/4th less fibers. Thin is in when it comes to EP, then the body of the fly will be more articulate in the water. The hardest part of the EP is trimming, nice fish shape to your tie!

EP-Streamer Brushes....Check it out.....makes creating smaller baitfish patterns a snap.

I love bunny strips and the EP brushes make an fantastic body....

I make them hook up and down....Can't say I have a preference yet.

8. Default Re: Ep-Fiber bait fish patterns?

Nice looking pattern. Have you ever thought about using a uv pearl diamond dub for the body?

9. Default Re: Ep-Fiber bait fish patterns?

OK, thanks for your imput. I will try your pattern out. I will also try alot less fibers and try what frank said too. When I get one done I will post it.

10. Default Re: Ep-Fiber bait fish patterns?

I use to dub and found it much easier to use the streamer brushes than dubbing.....The brushes also create a more durable fly...

TGwater, a hint as to the amount of EP to use for each bunch you tie in - you should be able to see your hand through it. I look forward to the pic of your next EP fly.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast